Doesn't recognize FireFox

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by alsemus, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alsemus

alsemus Registered Member

I installed Spyblaster and it recognized IE but NOT Firefox 1.5.0.6.
    I deleted the program entirely using add/remove programs.
    Reinstalled Firefox 1.5.0.6.
    Still doesn't recognize Firefox!!!! 'Firefox doesn't exhist in this session' dah there are only two session available -- Admin and me and we are equal!

I do have in add/remove software a Dear Park Alpha1.0 showing and no way to delete it because the uninstall log folder doesn't exist. Would this interfer with recognistion of Firefox?

Has any one got suggestionso_O?.......................... Al

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. alsemus

I took the suggested link and followed, as best as possible, their suggestion to locate registry.dat.

C:\owner\applicationData\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
    there was no registry.dat shown.
    I then did a search and found no registry.dat.

I still can't get SpywareBlaster to recognize Firefox!!!!
    Any help would be appreciated.
    ................................................... Al

4. ntechie

ntechie Registered Member

I also noticed this problem quite sometime back when I first installed firefox but when I installed mozilla suite the problem ceased to exist.

5. alsemus

I tried Mozzilla with the same results. I down loaded the Mozilla Suite, installed it, rebooted the system and then looked at Spyware Blaster - didn't recognize Firefox.
    Any suggestionso_O??
    ......................................... Al

6. rmetzger

rmetzger Registered Member

Well, you may be having a problem locating where your registry.dat file is suppose to be located. Normally it is located somewhere in the %UserProfile% folder. On my system it is located at: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla. The file name is registry.dat. The drive you have may not be C: -- it could be F: or whatever. Also, the 'Owner' could be another name altogether.

A standard search for the file may find nothing unless you switch on the ablility to 'unhide' hidden and system files and folders. This can be done by opening up
    'My Computer' > (from the toolbar above) 'Tools' > 'Folder options...' > 'View'
    Under 'Advanded Settings'
    Check 'Show hidden files and folders'
    Uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'

Now, do the search for registry.dat again. Make sure to check on All drives.

Once found, rename the file to something like registry.dat.sav (just in case).

Run FireFox again. (Configure FireFox as needed, as many settings may be lost.) Exit FireFox.

Run SpywareBlaster again. See how it works now.

I hope this is helpful.
    Ron Metzger

7. alsemus

Ron:
    I read your note closely and thanks for the help.
    I had removed Firefox just before I got your message. I was using IE just for safe measure.

So I performed your steps exactly except I reinstalled Firefox. After setting some minor configuration things I exited and brought up SpyBlaster. It still doesn't see Firefox.

So I went hunting:::
    C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Applications Data\Moxilla\Profiles\ default\403n54s4.slt
    and following the same route to Profiles\default User\wbdrbg9.slt
    Both slt folders appear to have the same information - I compared the Bookmark.html files.

But SpyBlaster doesn't see Firefox at all. I searched the system as you suggested. Couldn't find a registry.dat file any where on any drive.
    So Firefox is using those funny named folders to do the job I think!
    Any other suggestions?
    Any one know someone on the Firefox team I can contact?
    ............................ Al

8. rmetzger

rmetzger Registered Member

Really strange, since FireFox should have created registry.dat for you. However, you may be drilling down to far, or may be looking at the wrong user profile. I found my registry.dat file in C:\Documents and Settings\RMetzger\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox folder and not below in the profiles\ folder. Also, the (Windows) default user profile is not active, so ignore it.

It is also possible that when FireFox was first installed (long ago), registry.dat was created under a different user than Owner. You would need to check all user profiles, not just Owner to locate registry.dat.

Uninstalling FireFox does NOT remove registry.dat, so that FireFox can be reinstalled or upgraded and carry forward all of the user settings from the previous install. This also allows for Mozilla, and even Netscape v7.x up, to share common settings.

Registry.dat is normally a very small file, around 1 KB in size. If the file grows to a larger size, corruption within the file is causing SpywareBlaster to fail to read the FireFox as availble for protection.

Researching this problem I came across and interesting possibility. Registry.dat seems to be valid only on 'older' versions of FireFox and Thunderbird. Apparently, Mozilla Suite still uses it. (See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder, Files outside the "Profiles" folder, for more information.) The document does not indicate which versions it is referring to, so, who knows.

I wonder if you have only the newest version of FF installed and SpywareBlaster is not seeing the appropriate files, namely registry.dat.

I wonder if installing Mozilla Suite and uninstalling Mozilla Suite will fix the problem.

Post back and let us know how you are doing.

Ron Metzger

9. alsemus

Ron:
    At the FF level, before going into Profile I did find Registry.dat it is 2KB.

There can't be a different user since I have owned this system from the begining and no matter how I try to log in as a different user I'm given one option - one user profile.

I removed FF and deleted every Mozilla file I could find. Then I went to the registry and deleted anything for Mozilla or FF. I rebooted the system. WOW I just got rid of that Damn DeerPark 1.0 in the program listing.
    I rebooted the system. Checked IE and other programs - doesn't appear I disturbed the registry.
    I installed the Mozilla suite. It came up very nicely. Exited Mozilla. Checked for Registry.dat and there it was as before. Invoked SpyBlaster and you guessed it. Doesn't see FireFox or Mozilla.
    The error it gives is:
    There are no Mozilla/Firefox user profiles on this account.
    But there is only one account so what other account could it beo_O

I don't have an old version of FF to see if SB would see that.
    Totally lost at this point!!! Must I use IE now? Or get rid of SB? Then I have to pay McAfee every year. Help!!o_O :mad:
    .......................................... Al

10. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the information.

I'm currently looking into this issue - I can't reproduce it yet, but I have some ideas.

I'll let you know about any progress. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

11. alsemus

So far I have been waiting to see what Java Cool has found out. IN the mean time I am using IE. Hopefully Java Cool isn't on vacation or out to luncho_O? LOL ................. Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.