Does ZA firewall do its job?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rOadToIS, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I heard some people criticizing ZoneAlarm's Free Firewall on its lack of protection.
    So, does it do its job? Does it provide solid protection: preventing hackers in public area/home?

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Their criticism was probably directed at it's relative lack of outbound coverage compared to ZA Pro or perhaps Comodo or others. In terms of inbound protection, it is fine, and just as good as ZA Pro or any others.

3. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

Thanks for the reply!:)

4. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I agree with act8192. As a long time user of ZA Free Firewall version 5.5.094.000, nothing gets out of my PC unless I say so. It's shut down so tight (programs need to ask for my permission every time) that it squeals like a pig if any outbound attempt is ever tried.

To date, my oldie but goodie ZA has blocked 141,380 access attempts and 2,777 of those blocked intrusions have been highly rated. And while numbers might not mean anything, my WinXP machine continues to purr like a kitten. :) Thanks ZA!

6. progress

progress Guest

But there is no HIPS component in ZA Free, am I right? I think Comodo or PC Tools give you more protection in this area :rolleyes:

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

A firewall is a firewall. HIPS is something else. Some firewall manufacturers have included a HIPS (or HIPS-like) component in their firewall. Which technically, I suppose, makes it more suite-like.

8. IAmAsean

IAmAsean Registered Member

Does ZA firewall do its job?

It does. I was never a believer of these "leak tests" and I don't think that will change even in the far future. Leak tests do not make sense to me.

Keeping the baddies off and out of your machine was never the job of a Firewall to begin with.

What does a Firewall do?
    1. Packet Filtering 2. Application Gateway 3. Circuit-Level Gateway 4. Proxy Server.

For malicious codes to land onto your machine must bypass, not the Firewall, but your other seucirty applications (HIPS, antivirus, antimalware and antispyware).

There is the reason why many standalone Firewalls in the past have now bundled themselves with antivirus and antimalware modules and of course, HIPS.

9. progress

progress Guest

Why doesn't ZA Free disable the XP firewall? :(

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, the old versions never disabled the XP firewall, you had to do it manually. I don't know about the newer versions but perhaps you want to check the ZA Free User Guides page for your particular version.

11. Enigm

Enigm Registered Member

12. fax

fax Registered Member

... and here we are again... I think I predicted a FUD a year on ZA calling home... and magically here we are again... this time we have even the mossad... LOL

Please update yourself, ZA calling home was a bug fixed LOOOONG time ago, discussed here too... more than once... o_O

Fax

13. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

has this thread has taken a turn into intolerance?

14. gery

gery Registered Member

I am using the pro version with spyware turned off and it is runing very well here alongside Avira Premium . very happy so far. The latest release is improved over the previous .light and not so intrusive. Better then anything i have used .

15. AKAJohnDoe

I have current licenses for both ZA-AV and ZA-Pro; running ZA-AV at this time.

16. gery

gery Registered Member

How is ZAV running

17. NNard

NNard Registered Member

I am currently running the latest version of ZA-AV along with SAS Pro on VISTA without any problems.

NNard:D

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

ZoneAlarm first introduced its OSFirewall, a "behavior-based strategy to block malware and spyware", in mid-2005. I run it enabled inside ZoneAlarmPro. It alerts to lots of suspicious activities, depending of course on the level a user sets it at. It's a strong add-on component, a "kernel-level firewall (that) monitors suspicious activity affecting the operating system, programs and files, and disables destructive programs". I'm glad it's there. :thumb:

19. AKAJohnDoe

ZA-AV was upgraded recently to 8.0.298.000 and works very well for me.

According to my saved install files, I have upgraded ZAAV several times now, although I know there were some prior to these that I did not retain:

08/27/2008 zaAvSetup_80_015_000_en.exe
    10/16/2008 zaAvSetup_80_020_000_en.exe
    11/06/2008 zaAvSetup_80_059_000_en.exe
    02/23/2009 zaAvSetup_80_298_000_en.exe

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I keep the Anti-spyware component turned off too. I think that avast! is adequate enough versus spyware in real-time. Every now and then I update the defs and run a scan, but it's essentially a feature I keep turned off. :)

21. AKAJohnDoe

I run the stuff listed here, and now and again run SAS, MBAM, HJT, and GMER, but have never found anything other than a false positive running any Anti-Spyware scanner.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

This is a pretty cool feature...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.