Does WindowsXP(SP2) make WWDC, DSOstop2, HTAstop2003, XPdite, and others obsolete?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Devinco, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Everybody,

Will SP2 encompass and therefore make obsolete the following excellent utilities?

WWDC
    DSOstop2
    HTAstop2003
    XPdite
    DCOMbobulator
    SocketLock
    ShootTheMessenger
    Unplug UPnP

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Re: Does WindowsXP(SP2) make WWDC, DSOstop2, HTAstop2003, XPdite, and others obsolete

Devinco

Good question. Not a peep from Steve Gibson.

3. Devinco

Re: Does WindowsXP(SP2) make WWDC, DSOstop2, HTAstop2003, XPdite, and others obsolete

Perhaps there is a brave soul out there willing to try them out on SP2 and tell us if they are no longer needed?

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Exactly what i was thinking... it can't hurt.. just open them, they give a message first up anyway.....

says he who does not have to reformat

TAS

5. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I tried htastop 03 and it seemed to work fine. Also, not on your list but I downloaded xp anti-spy and tried it. It must be ready for sp2 as there is an option to disable the security center.

6. Devinco

Hi se7engreen,

It's not whether they would run in SP2.
    Would all the new security bells and whistles in SP2 make it unnecessary to run them?

7. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Opps,
    Misunderstood. Must've been on the usual caffine buzz...

8. jamie slate

jamie slate Guest

hello, my girlfriend and i are about to download SP2. do you see any reason for our not installing these patches? thanks again.
    jamie

9. jamie slate

jamie slate Guest

hello, has anyone upgraded to SP2 while these utilities have been installed. thanks : )

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had about half of them installed when I installed sp2. Have had no problems at all.

11. Devinco

Hi Jaimie,

No, I think SP2 will be great once all the other software programs get versions that don't have any compatibility issues. Just search the forum for SP2 and find out what issues people are having with programs that you use.
    I am just waiting until things settle down a little.
    If you have the ability to make a backup image of your hard drive before, I would do it. That way you can restore the computer back if something doesn't work out.

These other programs listed in this thread title closed serious holes on previous versions of windows, but I don't know if they are still necessary with SP2 and that's why I asked. I will eventually install SP2 and find out (it would probably need a clean install), but until then, I'll wait a little.

12. Devinco

SP2 is just a service pack that goes over windows. If you already had these programs installed before SP2, it would not be fair to say that they are obsolete because they already closed the holes. The only way to be sure is a clean install of Windows XP, then SP2, then running these utilities to see if the holes were already closed by SP2.

13. jamie slate

jamie slate Guest

thanks for your quick replies. i feel a little better now : ) i'll do a search of the forum and upgrade in a month or so.

14. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

One tool not mentioned here is SafeXP.

What's New
    Version 1.4.8.20 - August 17, 2004

• Fixed Windows XP Service Pack 2 Automatic Update issues.
    • Made some cosmetic changes.
    http://www.theorica.net/safexp.htm

15. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

16. Devinco

Thanks for the cross reference Gerardwil.
    That is a GREAT article!
    Using that article and BlackViper's SP2 update (when he completes it) should making tweaking SP2 a breeze.

Based on this info, after adjusting all the SP2 settings for security, I would still run these utilities just to check that the security holes are closed. If there are any still left open then just use the utilities to close the hole.

17. Devinco

Update from Steve Gibson himself: Here is the interview
    Okay, that leaves WWDC, DSOstop2, HTAstop2003. Are they obsolete due to SP2? It would need to be tested fairly on a clean install of SP2 that did not have these utilities on them. I know some of the options in WWDC duplicate Gibson's utilities, but not all. And what about DSOstop2 and HTAstop2003?

18. AxeSlinger

AxeSlinger Guest

Could someone tell me what WWDC is? Thanks.

19. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you can read and download here. be sure to read all the page
    :)

20. AxeSlinger

AxeSlinger Guest

Thanks Iceni60, I wasn't aware of that one. I wonder if you still need it with sp2?

21. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i dont know, but id bet that its still needed for most, if not all the fixes.

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i know Steve Gibson's word should be final, but could someone just say it's true. here is an extract from the gkweb-Steve Gibson interview

23. Tassie_Devils

I would take that as a given, but you can always check with each app.

Simply opening/testing will indicate if there's a problem.

With WWDC, the same thing, if you run it, it will still tell you and more than likely you will still show 445 as not CLOSED. [edit: I mean if it has NOT been previously closed by the use of WWDC, as opposed to just being 'Stealthed' from the outside looking in]

If you have SP2 and have those programs, give them a try. :)

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 100.GIF
      100.GIF
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  24. Tassie_Devils

DSO

:)

Attached Files:

• 099.GIF
      099.GIF
      File size:
      12.8 KB
      Views:
  25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks Tassie, i'll give it a go. but i already had them when i installed SP2, so maybe we wont know for sure until someone reinstalls OS with SP2. are you willing to give it a go(a reinstall?) go on TASSIE, it would take a great weight off my mind :D . i just checked and they are all still disabled. thanks Tassie :)

i know i'm going off topic now sorry, but if you miss steve gibson's software you could always download ASPI_ME Media Demo from this page...
    http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.