Does USB external drive need Master/Slave/CS?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tachyon42, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I have read a couple of reviews that say that a USB external drive should have the disk set as Master.
    Why is this?
    What difference does it make if it is set to Cable Select?
    Will TrueImage have a problem if it's not set to Master?

2. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

I would follow the review's suggestion. The USB external drive is the only drive on the USB "cable", so it is the 'master'. When using cable select, the 80 connector cable in a IDE configuration determines by position on the IDE cable which connection is master (if it's connected at the end of the cable farther away from the MB connection) or slave (if it's connected to the middle connector out of the two connectors possible). The USB 'cable' has no such 'signal' capabilities to the Motherboard, and only has one signal path, so use the master jumper setting on the drive.

Allen

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The enclosures that I've bought usually specify how to jumper the hard drive. As far as I can recall, all specified Master. As long as the manufacturer had a preferred setting, that's what I've used. Otherwise, I used Master.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.