does turning system restore delete all previous Restorians?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HYE, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HYE

HYE Guest

i tried the uncheck system restore, but it said it would delete previous restorations.. i dotn want to do that. :( i was just wondering.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. HYE

HYE Guest

but why? what if i wanted to turn system restore off but keep restore points..

4. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I guess when MS wrote it, they couldn't envisage anyone wanting to turn it off yet wishing to keep all the restore points. So there's no way of doing what you want unless you can locate some program which will allow you to suspend system restore without actually turning it off, if that would achieve what you need. I don't know of any such program, but someone else here might.

5. jusk

jusk Guest

maybe i could just copy the restore points to a new locations.. where are they located anyways?

6. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

The files are stored in

c:\system volume information

which usually has tight security rights so that you can't access anything in there. However, for System Restore to have access to those files, they need to have entries in the system registry which make them available. So it would be very tricky to copy the files and then re-instate them, let alone making them accessible to System Restore.

Why exactly do you need to do this? Perhaps there's another way of achieving it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.