Does True Image Echo Server work within Hyper-V virtual machines?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jason404, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason404

Jason404 Registered Member

I installed True Image Echo Server within a Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V virtual machine, and then tried making a .tib system drive backup file into another virtual machine (.vhd). It said that the backup file was corrupt.

I then tried installing True Image Echo Server on the Windows Server 2008 parent partition that runs Hyper-V instead (ie. on the physical machine, not a VM), and it worked fine. The .tib file was exactly the same (MD5 checksum).

So, does True Image Server not work within a Hyper-V virtual machine? Is it necessary to use it only on the physical hardware?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. Duke620

Duke620 Registered Member

hi, i have a problem with converting existings tib files from an windows server 2003 enterprise server ( 32 BIT ) to a new system. means, i can convert my server 2003 to an hyper v vhd file, but the new virtuell server will not start. allways became an boot failure ?
    the new server is an windows server 2008 enterprise 64 BIT(using as host, no vm ). is there a problem with using 32 bit converting tib / vhd files on a new 64 BIT systeme running hyper v ??

thanks for answers,

gustav berger

4. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

Jason404, you can use Acronis True Image Echo to convert a backup archive (*.tib) to a virtual disk (.vmdk, .vhd, .hdd). You can also back up a virtual disk and restore it to a physical disk.

Gustav, what is the exact error message that appears at the startup?

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

5. eth0

eth0 Registered Member

I am trying to convert a tib image of a Windows Server 2008 64bit to a VHD file using Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server 9.7 build 8206 (with universal restore option). When I try this I get the following error message:
    "Selected type of Virtual Machine supports only 32bit guest Operating Systems." Which is not the case for Hyper-V which runs 64bit VM Guests fine.
    Is there a solution for this other than booting the VM Guest using the acronis bootable CD and restoring the image form inside the VM ?

6. paolo dantona

paolo dantona Registered Member

Try with AB 10...

Paolo

7. Acronis Support

Hello eth0,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

Paolo is correct, if you don't want to recover archive, you should use Acronis Backup & Recovery 10. Acronis True Image Echo doesn't support 64bit guest systems. It is known issue that has been fixed in Acronis Backup & Recovery 10.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.