does ti work with sata DVD drives?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dsrs, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsrs

dsrs Registered Member

i tried searching these forums but i get a message saying 'dvd' is too common a term, so maybe somebody has already answered this. if so, sorry.

my problem is with a computer with SATA hard drive, single drive, and also SATA plextor dvd rw

windows crashed on my new computer, but i had made an image of the c drive and burned it with nero onto a dvd rw

this image can be found by acronis on another computer with IDE drives [dvd and hard disk]. i checked this .tib file [which is 3gb] with acronis and it is verified as ok

in the new computer with sata hard drive and sata dvd, i manage to load the acronis recovery console without problems

when i click to resore an image, acronis scans the disks

i should say that before doing this scan i have removed the acronis recovery cd from the drive and inserted the dvd rw which holds the .tib file i want to restore

acronis seems to find the dvd drive [though it calls it a cd drive]. but when i click on that drive nothing happens

i try entering the file name, but again acronis cannot see anything on the sata dvd drive

i also have an ide cd drive in this same computer. so i tried booting from the ide cd drive with the acronis recovery cd in there at the same time that the dvd with the .tib image file is inserted into the sata dvd drive

the sata dvd drive is not found at all by the acronis recovery console

i reinstalled windows on the c drive and reinstalled acronis. now i have back a full windows system and on the d drive where i also stored the same .tib image as on dvd previously mentioned, the acronis recovery console [run from boot cd] does find that .tib file on drive d.

but it still cannot find any files on any dvd inserted into the sata dvd drive when booting from the recovery cd

i am very confused and can only conclude that acronis does not work with sata dvd drives

i am reduced to thinking that the only work around would be for me to make future .tib files small enough to fit on multiple cd rw media, so that i can use them with the ide cd drive for future recovery. do you think that will work for me?

there is then the further question of how to restore these .tib files to my sata hard drive. assuming i mange to FIND the .tib files i want to restore, will the recovery console then be able to find the [damaged] c partition of the sata hard drive and recover the .tib files to that area??

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dsrs,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

I would also recommend you to try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If nothing of the above helps then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also do the following:

- Start command prompt;
    - Go to \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder;
    - Run "cdrecord –scanbus > scanbus.txt" command and collect the scanbus.txt file.

Send all the collected files to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. dsrs

dsrs Registered Member

thank you. i followed all the instructions.
    the fact is very clear....acronis does not work at all with sata dvd drives
    under no circumstances will the recovery boot disk find any files on any sata dvd drive

i really wish you would just have told me this, since it must be a well known fact

now that i know i can never burn .tib files to a dvd, possible work arounds include making my .tib files on many, many cds
    or putting them on a usb hard drive

but for those of us with only the new sata dvd burners, and no ide dvd drives, we are sool.

having bought acronis i am somewhat annoyed at this lack of honest response to a fault in the product. especially since i now discover that norton ghost DOES work with sata drives, since its boot cd includes the windows recovery console, and allows you to put in the sata drivers. just press f6 during the boot.

no app is perfect, and i am sure acronis will eventually support sata.
    but why not admit it DOES NOT SUPPORT SATA at the moment and save us the hassle of going through motions you know will not work

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

Are you burning the DVD with UDF format? That would be with DirectCD or InCD. If not, TI can't read it.

Problems with SATA optical drives are frequent, and generally realted to the SATA controller that the drive is on, not the drive itself.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello dsrs,

Did you create all the special diagnostic reports mentioned by Alexey and forward them to support@acronis.com ?

In the event Support are unable to solve the problem, you can always create a special BartPE bootable rescue CD using the Acronis BartPE plug-in that's available to you by logging into your Personal Account at acronis.com. This will then load your hardware specific device drivers whilst booting into Acronis recovery mode.

Regards

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dsrs,

Actually, Acronis True Image 8.0 supports SATA hard drives and DVD drives. Moreover, the problem that you have reported is not so common as it seems.

I would also like to remind everyone that Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers. The point is that sometimes some of the newest hardware just not yet supported because of a lack of the corresponding drivers. That is the reason why I asked you to send us that files and information.

If the problem is that your SATA controller is not yet supported then all these information will be forwarded to our Development Team and they will do their best in order to implement the support for the corresponding SATA controller as soon as possible.

Please do as I have suggested in my previous post and we will try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. dsrs

dsrs Registered Member

THANKS for the advice, and i will try the bartpe thing and also send the info requested. yes, this is all very new hardware and that may be the problem, not to mention my confusion in dealing with these kind of drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.