Does TI 10 still use USB 1.1 only as the transfer to external hdd?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Horus37, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Curious if the backup and restore fuctions are via USB 1.1 technology or are they really 2.0 speed now? I have a 250 GB external HDD I'd like to image to. Is this software still just repackaged and shelled dos technology?

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

I don't think the TI functions were ever just usb 1.1, certainly from ver 8, usb 2 connected devices functioned during backup/recovery/cloning much faster than usb 1.1.

3. Horus37

to restore and image then back to the host drive from the external USB 2 hdd does the process work at USB 2 speeds then always? Is the process done using DOS with USB 2.0 support then? Some other imaging software I was reading about makes you put in a universal usb 2 driver from panasonic I think to get it to work right. Am I thinking Imaging for Dos product or?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

True Image when creating an image within Windows and creating and restoring a non-system partition within Windows uses whatever USB your machine supports and is enabled. (On some machines you can set use USB1 instead of 2 if you wish).

When Windows has to restore a system partition, typically your C drive, then it has to boot out of Windows into its recovery environment. The recovery environment is the same as that presented on the bootable CD and the FUll version is Linux-based not DOS. It supports USB2 but the problem is that sometimes the Linux driver for some USB chipsets either on the MB or the external drive is poor and results in bad performance.

TI's recovery CD also has a Safe mode which is not the Windows safe mode but starts up a recovery environment based on DOS. For most PCs this may mean that there is no USB or Firewire support period. However some BIOSs do provide this capability so you can access USB devices. Experience on this forum show that this may well work but is painfully slow. I think in most cases the TI Linux recovery environment works just fine.

Another option should you suffer from poor Linux operation is to make a BartPE recovery CD which uses Windows drivers. TI provides a plug-in for a BartPE CD (it is included in the distribution file) and a member of this forum, Mustang also provides plugins and related material.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Just a minor correction, the TrueImage Safe mode is still Linux (not DOS) but many drivers are not loaded just as in the Windows Safe mode many drivers are not loaded.

6. Horus37

Thanks for that very informative post. Linux drivers for my usb hmmmmmmmm, I don't know how to check which usb chipset I have and seee if it's compatible with acronis' software. I bet it is. This laptop is only 1 year old and has no special hdd or raid or scsi stuff so hopefully I have a generic enough setup that ati will work on my machine for imaging. Now since this will be my first time doing backup type stuff I'm just trying to avoid the common mistakes. I was hoping having to avoid the bart pe stuff as I''ve never used it or built one so guess I'll learn. Would you happen to know if it's critical that my CDROM is first in line on the bios boot order ahead of the floppy drive or will that matter on a reinstall off a USB 2 hdd? I have some snapshots saved with FDISR and I haven't changed my bios settings yet to get my cdrom first. Should it be?

One last thing, I'm sure I'll need it formatted NTFS right? Or do these external drives already come formatted that way? If not what is the best way to format the external usb hdd first before I image to it? You'd think I'd now this.

7. seekforever

Not according to Acronis, see post #14 in this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=146230

8. seekforever

No, it doesn't have to be first since the system will see there is nothing in the floppy and drop to the next device.

USB external drives normally come formatted FAT32 so they can be used on various machine/OSs. TI will detect it and automatically split your image into 4GB pieces since 4GB is the maximum size of a file using FAT32. This should cause no trouble with TI since it understands the split archive.

Some people don't like that and reformat the external as NTFS. Easiest way is to plug in the new drive and right click on it. I believe that should bring up a menu with Format in it. The other way is to something like: Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. Right click on your USB drive and select Format from the menu. This one is a good command to be aware of since it shows all your drives and partitioning info.

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Yep, it's DOS but, if my memory serves me right, it's not Microsoft DOS. :cool:

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.