Does this setup work?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by L815, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L815

L815 Guest

I decided to give Threatfire a try recently and have liked it so far :)
    But today after my classes I realized my HDD light would be constantly on even though nothing was using it (different from my previous post on something similar)

My setup is as follows:
    Antivir personal 8
    Superantispyware (on demand)
    Asquared free (on demand service set to manual)
    Spywareblaster
    Threatfire

Should this work fine?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Looks fine to me :thumb:

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Over-kill on the spyware applications, IMO, but hey, go for it. Look into DropMyRights and SRP (Software Restriction Policy). I'm using it now and it's great. My browser opens so fast and I feel very safe with SRP in place. Of course I am in Vista but the same setup works quite well in XP too.

Later...

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Any firewall? I have both a hardware and software firewall. So even if you are using the Windows firewall you are protecting against inbound threats.

5. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Use these:

Antivir personal 8
    Superantispyware (on demand)
    Asquared free (on demand service set to manual)

and a software firewall if you are not behind router or you want applications outbound protection or hips

In this case maybe freeware:

Comodo

6. L815

L815 Guest

I'm behind a router which is the reason I haven't run any firewall software.

Should I be using a software firewall even though I'm behind a router? I haven't had any problems so far.

For the spyware, I am debating which one to stick with which is why I have both installed. I like them both, making it a hard decision >.<

EDIT: I ended up reformatting last night, and the HDD light problem seems to have faded. I'm beginning to think it had to do with a program called "powerdefrag" which I decided to give a try but went arry. I don't think it was the cause of any security software I had (good news :D).

7. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Don't you find all those products a bit heavy?

8. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Isn't Threatfire an anti-virus program ? I don't use AV so may be wrong but I thought that running 2 Av's at the same time was ( apart from being unnecessary) likely to lead to problems ? like HDD lights running as both programs compete.

9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

The router may be all you need for a firewall. Make sure the password is something other than "administrator" or something easily cracked. I still prefer both a hardware and software firewall for extra protection. The software firewall lets me know if anything is trying to call home. A router is inbound protection only.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@Long View - although its marketed as such, Threatfire is no traditional AV. Its a behavior blocker and thus can co-exist with "normal" AV such as Avira.

11. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Add to it GMER and Rootkit Unhooker.
    Add to it Comodo Firewall.

Then you're fine!

12. L815

L815 Guest

Nope. The anitspywares are only on demand and Threatfire + Avira only used 15-20mb together.

I got rid of Threatfire in the end because I was having trouble with Wubi and a few other apps from properly functioning. Otherwise they seemed to run fine together. This setup is really light on my laptop.

I've had a router for the past year or so with no issues, but maybe i'll give comodo a shot. Is it light? Will it slow down my browsing or internet in general?
    What about zonealarm free ?
    The reason I ask is because Firewalls are the only area I'm not very familiar with.

What are the reasons to use Gmer or Rootkit unhooker? Doesn't Avira have a rootkit scanner?

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Comodo has a complete HIPS on board (Defence Plus). When this might turn out difficult or intrusive, you could try Sunbelt Kerio

In terms of just a basic FW, which is as easy to use as Zone Alarm, PC Tools, Sunbelt Kerio might be worth a look. A firewall which is also available in many languages.

Just use simple mode to install and afterwards make sure these are checked (see pic). What it gives you:
    - A basic firewall
    - A Network intrusion detection (like Avast's Network shield).
    - Very basic form image execution control with the behavior feature (hardly can call it that, but anayway, it checks the footprint before execution and warn you when it is changed)
    - Option to disable all traffic during log-on/close down (which is good).

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  14. BoneYard

BoneYard Registered Member

If you ditch a-squared Free and Spywareblaster, it will work even better!

15. L815

L815 Guest

I will be trying Pc Tool's firewall soon. I had tried Sunbelts a while ago when I had a Xp desktop but remember having a few issues with it. I do like the idea of shutting all connections off during logon/logoff.

My comodo experience was minimal, and will give it another shot later if Pc tools ends up not being my cup of tea. Pc tools looks clean, sleak and like threatfire proably light. Comodo now seems to have a ton of features, but I can do without Defense + (which I turned off).

My main question now is should I use a firewall along with my router? I'm still unsure if its worth running the extra software. The router settings are default except a few things.

Majority of my internet is either at home or at college, always on wireless.

16. normishmael

normishmael Guest

I am not sure Spyware blaster does a lot for you if you are not usings IE.
    With Firefox it was Anti-cookie only.
    (then Again it really didnt eat any resourse either.)
    Back in the CyberHawk days,Threat fire seemed to really slow my browsing down.
    Avira is certainly a keeper.
    A-squared free also,if you do not mind the two background process running on a ON-DEMAND(!) scanner.
    I Mind it,but will still keep A-Squared free.
    Super-Anti spyware also has those background process running,and just for my two cents, i would ditch it for Malwarebytes Anti-walware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.