Does reinstalling windows destroy Secure Zone?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MartinH, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinH

MartinH Registered Member

Hello,

I want to reinstall windows (with format/ completely), but then it will overwrite the MBR (I think windows setup do so when installing on an empty primary partition).

I need a clean windows installation (without any unnecessary programs and drivers) for tests.
    I have stored an image of my current configuration and I want to restore this when I have finished the tests.
    The images are stored in the Secure Zone. But when windows setup overwrite the MBR, will this destroy my Secure Zone or the Recovery Manager ?

Thanks for help

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Could be. I have never experimented with that.
    Only the Recovery Manager. The Secure Zone exists in a separate (but for Windows unrecognized) disk partition, so unless you instruct the Windows installer to delete that partition, your images should be safe.

(personally, I really, really, REALLY, like to have images stored on DVD's in situations like this. makes me feel so much safer when I press the big key named ENTER)

3. MartinH

I don't want to delete any partition. Just to format c: and to install Windows XP.
    So I shouldn't get any problems?

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

No.

Have you named your C-partition? I am not sure if the name shows up in the Windows installer when you have to choose the partition, but if it does, the name sure helps to make sure that you are reformatting the correct partition. Also, the size of the partition should be a value hint that your reformatting your C-partition.

5. MartinH

The size of the partitions are all very different so that isn't a problem.

But I just wanted to make sure that it doesn't destroy the Secure Zone and that TI will recognize it as the Secure Zone after windows setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.