Does ProcessGuard and Online Armor conflict?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by shadowatcher, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowatcher

shadowatcher Registered Member

Does anyone know if ProcessGuard and Online Armor conflict if run on the same system? Also, which of the two do you prefer more or which do you think is the better program? Thanks!

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have them both and so far no conflict. If I was told I had to get rid of one of them I would get rid of OA. But I wouldn't want to.

3. shadowatcher

shadowatcher Registered Member

What firewall do you use? I like Tiny but there is a compatibility issue between Online Armor and Tiny Firewall. Any suggestions?

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Same here, I've had no problems running them together. The only thing that really overlaps right now is the execution protection, which I like OA's much better. In the next version they plan on adding all the same things to OA as PG has, with plenty more.

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

So far there has been no conflict on my machine - though I don't know if I woudl recommend it, since I do not know how each product has implemented its detection scheme, so I do not know whether any negative impact is possible. Probably no one knows for sure - until there actually is some conflict detected.

As for which one I prefer. Well, I like the idea that with ProcessGuard and RegDefend, I can actually directly specifiy which programs have which type of protections. For example, progams A I will allow a driver to be installed, but program B I will not. I can directly specify these privileges through the GUI interface. Mike has indicated this configurability/transparency will be in a future version of OA.

OA has much more informative alerts than ProcessGuard and also has some additional features that I like, such as the Web Screen, which alerts when some potentially malicious action is detected within a web page.

Both are excellent products and it really is a matter of taste. If you have a top-tier AV, then either one, I believe, provides excellent additional protection. The best thing to do is to just try them out. But try to make an image copy first - just in case.

Regards,
    Rich

6. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Both run great together on my machine.

...and the same here as for Rich`s comments,

7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Shadowatcher,to answer your firewall question ,I have Zonealarm free.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also am running Process Guard with Online Armor. Actually also running Safe'n'Sec. Firewall is Outpost 2.7 No conflicts. While there are overlaps there are also differences.

Pete

9. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

It all depends on what you need.
    Personally I haven't used OA yet.

I have tried ProcessGuard. It is good for beginners. It has a learning mode which the program will learn how your system works and record them, so it wil not alert you for permissions later on. However to use this function, you need to make sure your system is 100% clean. otherwise it will be stupid enough to record your malware activities as legitimate.

If you don't bother to learn how to use a program or get many alerts to answer, ProcessGuard may be your choice.

EDIT: I have information regaridng the performance of different intrusion prevention systems (ProcessGuard VS System Safety Monitor VS Viguard). If you wish to have it, contact me.

10. I have info too.

http://kareldjag.over-blog.com/categorie-69553.html

11. Wai_Wai

It's where my information base from.
    What I did is to present them in an excel table, so it is easier to see their performance differences.
    If anyone is interested in it, feel free to ask.

EDIT: Does anoyne know how to contact the author of the website? I tried to click on the "contact", but it is full of unreadable language (I don'tknow what lanugage it is). I would like to send the table to see if the author finds it useful. Does anyone know the email address?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  12. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Thanks, I didn't know Kareldjag had done ViGuard, and was looking for some info on it (for curiosities sake more than anything).

13. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

the time I was interested...afaik viguard was one of the first "non signature-based" malware preventer/scanner/...

but I couldn't find English version...I heard this issue is solved...but the choice is way to big to choose now for viguard...but it's a respectable company.

it's hard to keep up since a lot of players are doing it for free and compatability can be an issue but not always...try and learn...

hell...I read this like 5 times today...

which is the best: 4 times today ..

:rolleyes: :doubt:

/ I just saw this is slightly of topic...anyway...time to work again :D ...
    .. take care.

14. Wai_Wai

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.