Does NPF protect against activex exploits?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 10390bc, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10390bc

10390bc Registered Member

Hello All! Was wondering if anyone knows if the activeX and java applet blocker in NPF will effectively block all activeX and java exploits? Thanks. o_O

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi 10390bc

The options for both Java Applets and ActiveX are:
    Allow, Prompt or Block.

If you have the Personal Firewall setting at high (recommnended), these will be defaulted to prompt which should suffice most users.

For trusted sites with active content, you can add the sites under Options, Web Content, and allow the specific content. When you encounter ActiveX or Java Applets at other sites, you will still be prompted and given the option to allow or block.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. 10390bc

Thanks for the answer CrazyM. But being a computer newbie what i was wondering is when NPF is set to High security for activeX?/java will this protect you like spywareblaster does? Or perhaps better? Thanks again :)

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

They work in different ways. SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX based spyware based on it's definitions and setting the kill bit. NIS/NPF, when configured to do so, should prompt before allowing any ActiveX to run on a web page you visit and thus provide protection from spyware.

While I have not done any extensive testing of the active content filters in NIS/NPF, they do work. I am not aware of any specific testing of these filters as it relates to spyware.

Certainly nothing wrong with, or any conflicts that I am aware of in using both.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. 10390bc

Top notch answer CrazyM. U da man! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.