Does Norton scan ALL files?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Abeltje, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I was wondering whether the real time scanner of NAV / NIS 2007 would scan ALL files or just certain extensions for example.

I noticed quite some performance differences with Kaspersky and F-Secure when changing from the default (just certain extensions) to scanning all files (which actually makes them having a noticeable impact on system).

If Norton does not scan all files, then it could explain some of its lightness.

I know that for NOD and AVIRA I cannot really tell the difference between scanning all files or not.

Thanks for your comments!

By the way, which settings do you use / would recommend for the real time scanner? Is it really necessary to scan all files? Any known exploits that make misuse of this?

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

NAV's AutoProtect Guard can be set to scan either in SmartScan Mode or with Comprehensive File Scanning. The engine of NAV/NIS 2007 has been completely rewritten to be lighter on system resources, so even the default Comprehensive setting is very light in real-time.

So SmartScan is an alternative to the "scan all files" option and it scans a specific group of file extensions as well as .exe and doc.files.

The ALL files setting is better for protection and is the recommended one if there is no slow down in performance. However, if you run any AV which causes a slowdown then you adjust the scan setting of the RTM accordingly, or change AV.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Alternatively, you could use one of the scanners that use a caching system, so that each file is only scanned once with every set of definitions. AVs using a cache system include, NOD, F-Prot, Panda, Trend Micro and Kaspersky. This gives you the best of both worlds, you can scan every file and yet not create undue system slowdowns.

I am not sure if Norton uses a cache system to reduce drag as I have not used it awhile, I do not believe so though. Perhaps Blackcat could comment on that issue.

Regarding your question of scanning all files, I do not scan all files as there are some file types that can not contain executable code and in my opinion are not worth scanning. This is a matter of personal preference though and is up to each user to determine what their needs are.

4. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Nav/Nis 08 includes cache feature :thumb:

5. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

What version are you talking about? I cannot find such option in NIS 2007. Maybe it has been removed? Since there is no option I was wondering what is the setting now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.