Does Norton Flag too much?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MPSAN, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

A quick question that has been bothering me for a while now. It seems that IF I get a file that will patch a program or dll, etc, Norton always flags it as some kind of Heuristic virus. However, no other program has an issue with that file. I have tried MBAM, and even the online sites that scan using 47 programs and they all are clean. I can not believe that Norton is the ONLY "good" one out there and am starting to believe that it just flags anything that will try and patch a file.

Am I missing something here?

2. fax

fax Registered Member

The keyword is "heuristics". They are generic detections looking for suspicious behavior or specific patterns (e.g. number of users with that file?). So, it is rather common that heuristics are prone to false positives. For your case, updates (new files) not yet widely available to the norton user base may be flagged as suspicious.

So, check the source of the file. If it is from a trusted source then just ignore the warning. Alternatively wait one day... so some other Norton users will get bored by the warning :D

3. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

OK, several people online have said the warning is false.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.