Does NOD32 scan ***ALL*** the internals of Outlook pst files ???

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mr greek, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr greek

mr greek Registered Member

Dear All:

Hoping someone can answer these questions:

QUESTION No1:
    Does NOD32 scan email attachments in real time?
    (ie as you receive email attachments & also, as you send email attachments)

QUESTION No2:
    Lets assume that I have many separate Outlook pst files on my harddisk.
    If I decide to manually scan these Outlook pst files on my harddisk, does NOD32 scan ***EACH*** email that is contained in ***EACH*** of the pst files?
    In other words, does NOD32 scan the internals of Outlook pst files?
    ((( By The Way: the reason for this question is that whenever I use NOD32 to manually scan my many Outlook pst files, which total over 6GB, the NOD32 scan of these pst files is completed in just a few seconds!!!!! - this seems too quick! - Why? )))

QUESTION No3:
    Also, following on from QUESTION No2, if I decide to manually scan my harddisk that contains these Outlook pst files, does NOD32 scan ***ALL*** the attachments that exist in ***EACH*** email that is contained in each of the pst files?
    ((( By The Way: the reason for this question is that whenever I use NOD32 to manually scan my many Outlook pst files, which total over 6GB, the NOD32 scan of these pst files is completed in just a few seconds!!!!! - this seems too quick! - Why? )))

QUESTION No4:
    Is there a "setting" in NOD32 that allows me to specify that I want NOD32 to scan the internals of each Outlook pst files, ie both the emails and also the attachments within each email that are contained within each Outlook pst file?

Looking forward to some answers.

Regards.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. mr greek

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The only way I can see to scan is to open the file and as you do Amon will scan the contents.

As the files are just sitting there, not doing anything, I can see no problem with what might be in them.
    If you open the file, it will be scanned in real time by Amon.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

NOD32 only scans files that you have specified in the MS Outlook setup providing that MAPI is enabled (Tools - Options - Mail setup - Data files). It's Mircosoft Outlook that provides email to NOD32 for scanning via MAPI.

6. mr greek

So that I can better understand your response (I'm a little slow unfortunately o_O ):

Let's assume I no longer have Outlook installed on my PC (for whatever reason).
    But I still have (for example) 8 pst files sitting on my harddisk (for archive purposes).
    If I manually select these 8 Outlook pst files, and tell NOD32 to scan these 8 pst files, then, based on your comment above, NOD32 will do nothing with respect to scanning these Outlook pst files for any malware.
    Is this correct? Yes / No? o_O

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi Mr Greek !

Yes , with IMON and EMON. Later , if you try to access,save them , AMON will take place , too

How quickly ? Open the on-demand scanner , in the Setup tab , choose "List all files" and close (choose to save the settings) . Now right click the pst files and scan them . You should see everything scanned listed file by file

Yes . Open EMON -> Setup -> Extensions and manage the files as you like it

About the fact if NOD32 should scan separated pst file (without Outlook installed) , I have no idea . I mean searching in MS sites shows that AV software should see and scan them but searching the Wilders forums shows previous ESET mods saying that NOD32 cannot scan them without Outlook . I think with the option List all files you will be able to check . :thumb:

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You misunderstood me, pst files are scanned only via MAPI - they first need to be listed in the data files section of the MS Outlook setup.

9. mr greek

Thanks for the clarification.

Best Regards.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Sorry and thanks for confirming , Marcos !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.