Does Microsoft want my money, or not?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Gullible Jones, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am trying to figure out how to purchase a new Windows 7 product key, so that I can install the OS on a newer computer. And I am coming up blank.

- There's nothing in the Windows Store about buying product keys, for when you already have a legitimate install medium
    - It's not even clear that MS is still selling Windows 7 at all

Tried signing in to the Windows Store with my Hotmail account -> they won't let me sign in at all without providing a phone number and an alternate email address. No, I am not going to give MS my phone number and real email. Sorry.

What do I have to do to make Microsoft take my money?

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

3. Thank you! It looks like I had the wrong address - I think I was using their app store instead.

Unfortunately it appears that I cannot purchase a new product key without also purchasing a new install medium. Bah.

4. Fuzzfas

Try googling "buy Windows 7 key". There are various stores coming up, but i 've no idea if they are legitimate or not. But you could search a bit on your own.

5. Gone there already. Not a single result on the first page that wasn't suspicious looking.

At any rate it seem unwise to me to purchase a license key from a third party. I don't want Windows 7 to start whining that it isn't genuine after the next update.

6. Fuzzfas

Well, since you 're in USA, i 'd simply order from Newegg. They have cheaper OEM copies there too (if you don't mind OEM license). You 'd have to wait a few days to get it, but... Newegg is legit source.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. Again, thanks. Too bad MS doesn't sell license keys separately.

8. Fuzzfas

You 're welcome. Yes, it's pretty stupid on MS' side... After all, they do give keys to those with technet subscriptions or MSDNAA. So why not sell directly keys too.

Anyway, i saw that Newegg, has OEM Home for 99$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

And seems, that the OEM restrictions are mainly theoretical:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/47382-63-possible-windows-complications

I 'd get that from Newegg and save me a bunch of $, compared to ordering from MS a retail one.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Have you tried calling them (MS)? I would think someone on the phone could help..

10. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Buy Windows 8 and install Classic Shell or Start8 if you dislike Modern UI (Metro).

11. Kerodo: I've been putting that off because IIRC they charge a lot for phone calls. That may have changed though, I'll see what the MS website says.

Wild Hunter: Unfortunately Classic Shell is IMHO a woefully inadequate hack. I suspect Autohotkey could make things more manageable, by making the keybindings a little saner, but without any sensible way to manipulate Metro windows that's only a partial fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.