Does LnS run under WinXP 64bit ? Seems not

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by mattad, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattad

mattad Registered Member

Should LnS run under 64bit WinXP ?

It seems to me not because I get errors during the installation.

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

As far as I know now LnS doesn't work under any 64 bit version of Windows... So no Vista64 support either. It's a bit of a shame...

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Well driver for Vista64 is needed, but I thought it would run on 64-bit XP, just there was couple of features in the previous version v2.05p3 that are no longer available in v2.06b1 that didn’t support 64-bit.

I think Vista64 will eventually be supported

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I certainly hope so :)

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Phant0m

Sorry! I do not follow that. o_O

Which will run on WinXP x64, v2.05p3 or v2.06b1?

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

No, the two things are actually not related.
    The current 2.06b1 version doesn't work on x64 versions of Windows.

Frederic

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered Member

There is nowhere that I can see on the official LnS website that say's it does not support Vista 64 either in 2.06. Clearly states that LnS supports "Vista" does not say anywhere that it only supports "1/2" of Vista O/S's. o_O

I have had to lower myself (LOL - Actually it's not too bad) to use Jetico Firewall on my new system's install of Vista Ultimate 64 and am desperate to ditch it for the plain & simple everyday useage LnS offers. So, any plans for Vista 64 support at all in the very near future? :)

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, x64 versions of Windows are not supported by Look 'n' Stop 2.06.
    This "1/2" OS supporting, would be true also for XP ;)

We don't know yet if there will be a supported x64 version for Look 'n' Stop 2.06, but we will probably make some tests.
    One obstacle is the need of digitally signed drivers.

Frederic

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered Member

Well nowhere near the "1/2" with XP really is it as XP 64 never really took off at the time but yet now almost all hardware is 64 bit based whether from Intel or AMD platforms. So with the launch of Vista 64 soooo many more people will be wanting to take advantage of such an O/S. ;)

OK, cheers for the reply. Hopefully you can come up with the new 64 bit version shortly - I take my hat off in advance to you as I just love this firewall! :cool: :D

P.S. :- As regards "digitally signed" drivers, I installed cFos x64 version and even though these drivers are not such the prog still installed fine on Vista 64. Don't know if that makes a difference??

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Do you mean these drivers are not digitally signed and you have disable the Driver Signed verification in the boot options ?

This is a solution, but I don't think it will be Ok to ask standard users for doing that .

Frederic

11. RetupmocSoft

RetupmocSoft Registered Member

No. I'm a Cfosspeed x64 user on XP 64-bit and Vista 64-bit.

Cfos/Cfosspeed x64 edition (fully support vista) didn't need "USER" to modified anything, just install like normal in 32-bit.

12. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

In that case, either the drivers they are using are digitally signed, or the drivers are not loaded at windows boot time.

Frederic

13. nuser

nuser Registered Member

Hi, Frederic,
    Just a little curious.
    Do you mean the drivers should be digitally signed by MS? (checking your code or charging you some money?)
    During the installation of Looknstop, there is also a warning message on drivers's signature. Do they mean the same thing?

14. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi nuser,

Yes, it is linked to the popups when installing the drivers.
    To avoid all popups yes I think the Microsoft certification is required (but I'm not sure).
    Just to be able to start the drivers, a signature authentification from a 3rd party (Verisign...) may be sufficient.

Frederic

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered Member

No, you misunderstand. cFos does not need the user to "modify" anything at all within Windows but when installed the drivers are "unsigned" and you get the MS warning about this and have to click ignore this to continue with the prog install. (The x86 XP & x86 Vista versions also produce the same warnings from the O/S upon install)

Tbh this is the case with many progs even since XP never mind Vista or x64 O/S so if this is the only main thing stopping LnS x64 version then I cannot see that it is really indeed a problem as many, many known softwares have unsigned drivers that require you to to click "proceed" despite the O/S warnings upon install. :)

16. nuser

nuser Registered Member

From Frederic's explanation, the popup warning message during installation doesn't matter. However, 32-bit windows allows an 'unsigned' driver to be loaded when booting up, while 64-bit windows blocks these kinds of drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.