Does KIS have something similiar to mobile code in zonealarm pro?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by colt45allstar, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

I'm thinking of giving KIS a sample run.

Normally I prefer a layered approach to a suite one.. but have heard enough good things about KIS to at least consider making an exception... and I do like Kaspersky Antivirus.

One thing though:

I really like the mobile code aspect of Zone Alarm Pro. The fact that is restricts things like javascript embedded objects and scripts (while allowing you to allow these things on trusted sites) makes me feel alot more secure than what I would feel without it.

Does Kaspersky offer something similar?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

No it does not.

3. colt45allstar

Thanks for the response. Very much appreciate it.

Still might give it a try... although was hoping for a different answer.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You could always use Firefox with the NoScript extension.

5. colt45allstar

I'm giving it a trial run now.

I really really like it, although it's only been on my computer for around 25 minutes or so. Have always used Zone Alarm Pro for my firewall for years and years now, but this is a solid solid program.

Web browsing seems much faster with this setup (KIS and AVG Antispyware) than what it did with Zone Alarm Pro, Kaspersky AV and AVG Antispyware.

I also downloaded the noscript extension and love it as well.

I went to grc and did the tests there and actually got a *better* result than what I would get with the zone alarm. For example no reverse dns showed up.. something that always did with The Zone Alarm.

If this first 30 some odd minutes are any indication... I'll be relenting from my usual non suite setup and be purchasing the full license once the 30 days expire.

6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

If you like what you see in KIS 6 you will love KIS 7. This is currently in beta test (have it on my pc) and there are numerous improvements on KIS 6, inc. IMHO a better, more friendly interface (although I like the KIS 6 one), new heuristc detection engine, option to specifically scan for rootkits, etc.

Not sure when KIS7 will be officially released but before you ask; if you have purchased KIS 6 then you are entitled to a free upgrade to the lates version as long as you licence is current (or at least that is how it has been in the past).:D

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You have every reason to like it, it virtually blots out the likelihood of succumbing to an exploit and makes you much safer if, like me, you run IE and can't be bothered to keep making adjustments to your browser settings (which is what I always did prior to using ZAP).

I've noticed one or two people using KIS who have been hit by a drive-by infection that KAV missed 'cos its polymorphic nature beat even KAV's ferocious sig release rate. Yet they'd have been safe if using ZAP's mobile code control 'cos the exploit (often java script based) would not have worked.
    That's the combination I use and, for me, browsing is faster with KAV's web scanner disabled (though I don't normally disable it).
    I never get this showing up with ZAP, so I wonder if it is something to do with your system's configuration?

8. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I know this a newbie question, but what is a reverse dns and why is it "bad"
    It seems unlikely your config is flawed or maybe Topper meant your ZA Pro settings were weak? :doubt:

I use FF no script and mobile code, is that a conflict? How do I optimize mobile code settings Topper? What criteria should be used for a trusted site, Green SiteAdvisor? Or just https sites like banks?

Sorry to HJ your thread but the thread mentions ZA Pro!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.