Does it matter what order your anti-virus program...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by disinter1, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

comes out in the bottom taskbar? It would be first for along time, then now it just sits between my anti-spyware program icon and comodo icon. I know it's prob a stupid question, but I would like to know why it did this, thanks.:D

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well an AV could have a service and a systray icon. the service could load before the icon, so youre still protected.

3. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Ok, so it's not a prob, nice to know, thanks.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think he wants his icons in a certain way on his taskbar.

eg.

he wants his antivirus at the top,
    then below that his firewall etc etc

to sort the order, obviously has something to do with boot order in a windows configuation file, i know there are freeware programs out there, try googling it that will sort the icons out in your particular order, but i dont know if the program will have to be a process running or just a one time thing.

have a look and good luck :)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sometimes i notice that icons load in different orders.
    as soon as your pc loads the desktop open the task manager and check the processes for your av if they there its no problem.
    your av should load first as a service.
    lodore

6. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

your av should load first as a service.

That is normal for me, it would be first loaded and first in order of my anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall. Now I'm a bit curious why it's between my antispyware and firewall now, it just doesn't make me feel safe.:doubt:

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you check the processes in task manager in as soon as your desktop loads see if the antivirus processes are there before the firewall and antispyware ones then its still loaded first.
    the service is the only part that matters
    lodore

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Better to check bootlog in boot.ini in MSconfig, then also you need to check it after hitting F8 on boot in Windows Advanced Options and/or run a program like Boot Log XP. Process Guard loads before Avira and Winamp loads before them. You can't tell anything from Task Manager except that the processes are running.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys Start: 10.249 sec
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\procguard.sys Start: 10.253 sec
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys Start: 10.261 sec
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Fips.SYS Start: 10.265 sec
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys Start: 10.267 sec
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\BANTExt.sys Start: 10.291 sec
    C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgio.sys Start: 10.293 sec

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i personally would not mess around with any msconfig boot.ini files, especially not for 'order the icons show in tray'

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i just dont think people should worry av's load faster enough and will protect you right away at login doesnt matter what order the icon loads.
    i think more av's should load before you login like kis60/kav6.0
    i know they do because say i get a scan to run at 11am on wednesday but no user is logged in it still runs the scan.
    lodore

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

i didn't "mess around" with any boot.ini files. I simply checked the box to record a log of order in which everything starts up. This is what Microsoft says to do if you have any problems with startup items or simply questions about what boots when in the boot process. Microsoft says you can either check the box in boot.ini OR you can boot the computer, hit F8 early on, and on the menu check boot log and then go on with a normal boot and you will have ntbtlog.txt file for that boot. I found though that I had to do both things in order to see a current boot file. ntbtlog.txt that is generated by checking the boot log box under boot.ini in MSConfig shows the order of boot but doesn't show the time. So, I got a trial of XP Bootlog which gives the times and shows a diagram and analysis of Windows Boot. This is not manipulating boot.ini files which I would not do either as you can really mess up a computer if you don't know exactly what you are doing. This is simply giving you a log.

It does matter where in the boot process your AV loads. ProcessGuard is set to load as a service rather than automatic (which is default). Loading PG as a service makes it load very early and BEFORE my AV. That is how it should be. PG should load very early (the driver...not the GUI). I have seen from other's posts here that SSM loads even earlier in the boot process which is impressive indeed.

You can't judge by the order of the items in the systray or by opening Task Monitor. The GUI for PG loads VERY LATE in the boot process so the tray icon loads late but the driver (service) loads very early. A similiar situation may be the case for various AVs and that is why looking at a boot log (especially one that shows the time) is much more useful. But I think what loads, in what order, is more important for PG or SSM than for your AV which is secondary to those in importance.

12. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I think this is where a lot of people get confused. Even though the GUI is not loaded, in this case the tray icon, dose not mean that the protection is not in force. Example, ZA Pro, the tray icon is slow to load but Vsmon\the service loads early so the protection is there.

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.