Does it make any sense to virus scan a disk image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by David07666, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David07666

David07666 Registered Member

Does it make any sense to virus scan a disk image? If I scanned the drive itself, I don't see the point of scanning the disk image at all. Am I wrong?

For that matter, does it make any sense to scan any compressed file? The compression should mess up the virus signature, don't you think?

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I think it makes more sense to run all the VirusScan checks, Security Checks, and etc on your HD.... BEFORE making the TI Image Backup. If you did this, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I don't think compressing a Virus will destroy its signature. That's how most of them are introduced anyways. (Unzipping a file ...before running a Virus Check on it.)

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder if scanner can read inside the compressed file? Depends upon the file type.

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Yes it can, decompression on the fly is straightforward to do.

F.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There are many imaging software so isn,t it that they use different sompressing methods. Can all these be decompressed by most of scanners?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.