Does Frequently Encrypting/Decrypting Files Degrade Them?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Does repeated encrytion and decryption of files corrupt them over time? I use 7-Zip

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Not really, no.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

There is no reason for files to become corrupt , unless the tool used to manipulate them has a serious bug...

4. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I'd say theoretically yes, and in practice generally no.

Hardware-related bit errors occur all the time in hard disks, RAM, CPU, onboard circuitry etc. Various error-detection and correction algorithms are able to handle the vast majority, but the small percentage that are undetectable or unrecoverable are able to slip through and corrupt data. Theoretically every time you 'touch' a file (edit, move, copy, encrypt, decrypt, defrag, etc.) it increases the chances that errors will occur to that file or on that disk, especially if the CPU or RAM are faulty or are operating out of spec (e.g. overclocked, overheated, mismatched etc.). However, even untouched data on unused media will develop bit errors over time. And software-related data corruption is even more likely to occur.

In a properly functioning system I would expect the theoretical increase in data corruption due to encryption/decryption operations to be quite small. However, if the encryption key itself happens to become corrupt then the consequences can be devastating, which is why it's always smart to keep multiple backups of encrypted data.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Is 7zip even a serious form of encryption? I thought is was only one of many forms of compression which has nothing to do with encryption.

-- Tom

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It uses 128bit and supports 256bit AES.

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Of all the compressed/archive encryption, I see SecureZip used most often in business as they are certified Hippa/SO/fips 140 compliant (this is not your father's .zip). SecureZip, by far, has the most solid security structure, from file wipes to memory wipe to integrity checks (MAC), AES, etc. Of course, you also pay for all this - $39.95.

8. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

True unless you use a filesystem like ZFS which prevents such corruption all together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.