does Firefox require global hooks?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by jim28277, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim28277

jim28277 Registered Member

Does Firefox require global hooks or any other special authority? I have started to have some problems and I think it may be firefox that is creating my problems. Every so often my computer hangs and eventually I get the message XPCOM event receiver is not responding. thanks in advance.

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

On my system, Firefox is not requesting hooks. I am running XP SP2. It may be different under different operating systems.

Rich

3. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I`m running the same as richrf and Firefox doesn`t use any special privileges.

4. Bdiamond

Bdiamond Registered Member

I had the same problem with the computer hanging and the XPCOM error statement appearing. I am running WINXP with sp2. and using the Firefox browser. A Firefox reinstall definitely fixed the problem for me and it might be worth considering if nothing else seems to work.

5. jim28277

Thanks to everyone for their prompt responses. I am planning to uninstal/reinstal firefox later today as Bdiamond has suggested. At this point, I am just happy to hear that somone else has had a similar problem and was able to resolve it with a reinstal.

6. jim28277

Thanks Bdiamond, reinstalled Firefox tonight and XPCOM hanging problem went away. Cheers

7. cosmicvoid

cosmicvoid Registered Member

Regarding apps that want global keyboard or mouse hooks, I have noticed that any app which calls the windows OpenFile dialog API call triggers the attempted hook. Probably this is to support drag-n-drop filenames, and the originating app is not actually directly responsible for the hook request, it is probably coming from the comctl32 dll.

I know that the win32 apps that I write don't have hook calls, but they do have OpenFile calls, and I see PG catches hook requests from that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.