Does Firefox have cooties?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Everyone wants the latest and greatest but, honestly, I'm just not feeling the chrome thing yet. I like FF and will stick with it, and a 31 percent market share tells me I am not alone. Now, if K-meleon becomes available for linux.......

3. linuxforall

I see your point well, I have not jumped on Chrome bandwagon, when Opera 10.10 was slowest of the lot, I stuck to it, now its defacto fastest but I don't use it for the speed factor, its the convenience and interface and the security, thats what has kept me with Opera since its 2x paid days. You use whats convenient for you.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Unfortunately, Firefox is the only usable browser for me in Linux at the moment. Chrome and Docky refuse to play nice with each other, while Opera is still unstable - and even if it were, it still lacks a few must-have features I've grown used to in Firefox and Chrome.

Speed-wise, the Chromium trunk builds dominate the benchmarks for now, but what I notice is that Firefox absolutely destroys Chrome/Chromium at actual page loading speeds, especially on slower connections (512Kbps to 1Mbs). WebKit still doesn't support pipelining, IIRC, and hence neither does Chrome. Adblocking may also be a factor: ABP for Firefox speeds up page loading by removing elements, Adblock/AdThwart for Chrome do not and slow down rendering speeds by inserting extra JSON to be parsed.

5. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Good point Eice. I have maintained that I have noticed no speed difference between FF, Chromium, and Opera. However, I have pipelining enabled, slightly pumped up some of the connection values, and use adblock plus and redirect remover, all which may boost the rendering speed of FF. Chrome (ium) is nice, and I see its potential, but it looks so out of place on my Ubuntu install.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Firefox. I use it for banking, tax returns etc. i.e. everything that is https:// for the simple reason that most institutions here don't support Opera ( some do but only the 9x versions which are insecure). I assume that it's because of the very low market share.
    Opera for everything else. The interface is better. For instance manage sessions and copy to notes (where you can highlight some text in a webpage and the page is linked by clicking the text in notes).
    However there are a few webpages that are not rendered properly in the latest Opera beta - take http://www.nasdaq.com/ a site I regularly visit. FF and Chrome have no problem. Of course it's beta so allowances must be made. In a nutshell there are many features built into Opera for which add-ons need to be downloaded in Firefox eg. mht web archive support. Often these add-ons are more cumbersome to use as well.

Edit: I don't know what 'cooties' are. :(

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Ocky, I guess you did not play Leisure Suit Larry then, the best game EVER?

That's one of the questions you're asked to prove you're not a child. Imagine the struggle with cooties at the age of 11 or so when I first encountered the game.

Mrk

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Wow, it's rather a raunchy game by the look of it. I think I will now be able to answer the cooties related question. :argh:

9. linuxforall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.