Does disabling services.exe affect system restore points?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by zoril, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

1.) I have had problems reverting the system back to an earlier restore point, so just wanted to check if having services disabled in install drivers/services might be causing the problem? A number of my programs seem to need access to services.exe - including one of my trojan checkers!

2.) Should all other options be enabled or disabled re services.exe

3.) Re authorize to - should they be disabled or enabled?

While I like the program, I am finding that the 250 limit re entries is becoming a problem, as I have no idea what to leave and what to delete to make way for new programs. It's probably ok for experienced users to whom this issue would not be a worry. Personally I find the limit to be restrictive.

Howard

2. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

You definitely want to leave any entries that have something in the Other Options column. One thing you can try is to click on the column header Application Folder it should sort the list on that header, I am on a computer right now that does not have PG installed so I can't test to be sure. Then take a hard look at any entries other than C:\Windows and C:\Program Files, especially anything with temp in the path those are safe to remove. Naturally remove any entries for apps you have removed from your system, again this is where the Application Folder sort is very handy.

3. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi Disciple:)

Almost all of the "other options" have been added by myself in response to trusted applications. I did clear out about 20/30 entires .tmp entries. This computer is only a few weeks old, so all the programs are in use. From what I can see there are no redundant entries:(

I plan on buying new software in the near future. It is fair to say I probably have a well above average number of applications installed...

Howard

4. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Something to consider when installing anything from a vendor you trust is to disable PG during the install. This will stop all of the temp entries from installers. Then before you run the app for the first time make sure PG is enabled and set it to Learning mode, this way it can automatically learn what the app wants/needs and can automatically set the permissions. Also I disable when installing the MS updates, so that the Windows updater can have unrestricted access to do its work.

5. zoril

zoril Registered Member

That's very interesting Disciple.... I was under the misapprehension that learning mode was only to be used at the very first few reboots and after that not again!

I appreciate the information and will take your advice....

Howard

6. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

I don't know if this has been sorted out or not as i don't use the 'learning mode',but it used to reconfigure some of the so called 'untrusted' apps eg. services.exe,rundll32.exe etc and give them their permissions back for the likes of installing services/drivers,access physical memory etc. So if you use 'learning mode',just double check the permissions for those 'untrusted' apps.

7. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Yes that's a very good point - I definitely will do!!

Howard:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.