Does bookmarking websites compromise Tor anonymit?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Yes, no, or somewhat. Please explain.

Currently save all bookmarks on a notepad.

Afraid bookmarks would be sent over the internet. Thus removing anonymity.

2. If your host is compromised by malware then yes your bookmarks could be used to find out your identity.

3. DesuMaiden

Just to be safe I will not bookmark anything.
    There might be malware in this computer even though my computer is fairly virus prone.

4. Save them on a notepad, I suggest you download notepad++ http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/ & encrypt your bookmarks text file using any one of the free encryption tools available.

Always copy and paste sensitive bookmarks, never type them in the browser. This will defeat software and hardware keyloggers. Do note however there is malware out there that will steal notepad, word, .txt documents.

5. DesuMaiden

I save it on 2010 Word Docs.
    I think I should be safe.

The only thing I am afraid is the possibility of Microsoft secretly collecting and storing the information I type on my 2010 Word docs. I guess I have to move all my bookmarks saved on Word over to a notepad to avoid this potential invasion of privacy.

Could you define a software and hardware keystroke logger to me in the simplest english possible? I am not an expert at computers so I need layman English to understand these computer concepts.

6. They record your keystrokes and send them to a bad guys server where it's put in a log file that he can read.

7. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I'm using a nice little freeware called Url Gather
    I'm not pushing it, just thought it might be useful :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.