Does Bitdefender Total Security now include ELAM?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nameless, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I was just about to register Bitdefender Windows 8 Security when I came across this post by a Bitdefender employee. I guess it's saying that other current Bitdefender products now include ELAM. Am I right?

So are there currently any substantial differences between Bitdefender Windows 8 Security and Bitdefender Internet Security? I can't tell what they're talking about with their hype (e.g. "Scan Boost Technology", "Proactive App Scanner", etc.).

One reason I don't understand what's going on is that for months they went on saying that ELAM was the main/only differentiating point between Bitdefender Windows 8 Security and Bitdefender Internet Security!

2. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

ELAM?

Extra Lemon and Mango?

Essential Lumber and Margarine?

3. thanhtai2009

thanhtai2009 Registered Member

Yes, you can check its driver in %WINDIR%\ELAMBKUP

4. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

It is technology designed to coexist with the upcoming ELAMEF technology. ;)

5. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Oh, of course. How silly of us not to know...

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Colorful :)

Look here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=48467

"Secure Boot

The first feature owners of a new Windows 8 PC will benefit from is known as
    Secure Boot. All new PCs that are certified for Windows 8 must utilize the UEFI
    (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) standard, rather than a traditional BIOS.
    UEFI must be configured to only launch boot loaders that are signed by trusted
    authorities. Vendors shipping Windows 8 certified machines will trust Microsoft’s
    signature, but are not prohibited from including others or allowing end-users to
    import their own
    ELAM (Early Load Anti Malware) is designed to enable security vendors to
    validate non-Windows components loaded during startup. In addition to the
    Windows kernel verifying that all boot driver signatures are valid, a bare-bones
    anti-malware engine may also be used to check drivers before they are loaded

7. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped visiting this forum. I didn't ask to be pelted with bad jokes. I'm just glad I didn't subscribe to my own thread this time.

To answer my own question, ELAM IS supported in the new Bitdefender Antivirus Plus/Internet Security/Total Security products. Now, why they continue to offer Bitdefender Windows 8 Security is a question I have no answer to.

Also, seeing the driver doesn't mean much. Just because it's installed doesn't mean it's used.

Thanks to all who actually tried contributing.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

And with that, we'll bring this thread to a close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.