Does anyone know about HAURI ViRobot?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, I can't find too much information on ViRobot. Their website is:

www.hauri.net (global)
    www.globalhauri.com (US/Canada/Global)

Apparently the product has failed recent Virus Bulletin tests due to high number of false positives. The interesting thing is that it is a dual engine solution, i.e. it uses its own engine as well as the BitDefender engine.

So, the question is - has anyone tried it out?

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

It's a Korean product so perhaps it is effective on Asian market. I haven't test it. hope I'll have some time to test and to give some feedback. :)

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I trialed ViRobot maybe three years ago.

The good:It was a very light scanner.Fairly fast too.

The bad:the uninstaller was sloppy.I have read that they have a cleaner uninstall now.
    The bigger concern is the detections database.From rare tests where ViRobot is included they are a bottom feeder.

4. Firecat

Apparently BitDefender engine was added recently to ViRobot. Recent VB tests show that detection rates were not bad but the ViRobot in-house engine consistently generates false positives, which is why it keeps failing VB tests.

5. Firecat

OK, I've been tampering with the setup files, and the latest version (Virobot 5.0) is using two engines for sure:

- Virobot engine with heuristics and spyware scanning
    - Complete BitDefender engine with HIVE/B-HAVE and BitDefender antispyware

It is a complete Internet Security Suite with a firewall and AntiSpam. Global Hauri is only selling the 4.0 version though at USD 39.95. Since the upgrades are free, I think people can upgrade to the suite. And its a pretty good deal when you get BitDefender AV + Firewall + AntiSpam at USD 39.95.

The biggest problem, however, is the high number of false positives generated by the Virobot engine.

6. Firecat

OK, I tried out this product, and have concluded that the product is mediocre at best.

HAURI ViRobot comes with its own security center for monitoring the various components of the suite. While I am not posting any screenshots at the moment, the interface is a bit of an oddball. Its not exactly bad per se, but it looks like a messy room which has just enough space for you to get by.

Strangely enough, I noticed the following:

- Firewall and AntiSpam are disabled by default (!)
    - It is a *must* to configure the AV to your liking, the default settings are hardly good enough!
    - Enabling the AS and FW along with AV slowed down my system noticeably
    - I noticed several Windows errors on the first reboot after installation of Virobot, though these disappeared from the next boot onwards.
    - Virobot does not correctly unregister itself from Windows Security Center during uninstallation, which means that WSC will continue reporting Virobot's status even after it has been uninstalled.
    - Firewall is not recognised by Windows Security Center (curiously, the AV is recognised though)
    - BitDefender engine in Virobot is mainly there for support of advanced packers. Updates for the BitDefender engine are few and far between, occuring only once every few months or so.

I was quite disappointed, overall with Virobot. Not only was it quite slow, but it was buggy as hell and caused a lot of problems with the Windows Security Center bug.

At the moment, this product is a definite no-no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.