Does anyone install the Evil update KB2670838?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mortal Raptor, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I don't install IE 10 or 11 as they bundle this update if you install them, thus I just update IE 8 to IE 9 and never use IE.

Now in the optional updates, even after more than a year, Microsoft still provides this evil update. Does anyone here install it? I noticed when I installed it, after accessing my external HDD which has 2 TB of videos all in LIST VIEW mode, the fonts were blurry, but a simple refresh fixed that. I wonder what other things is it breaking without me noticing....

Microsoft says this Platform update it supposed to bring in enhancements to hardware acceleration and h.264 videos and others, but it seems the opposite....

your opinions on this is highly appreciated

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I thought the blurry font issue was mostly an AMD graphics thing. I haven't really noticed it on non AMD machines.

3. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

You are perfectly right, in my research, it only affected AMD GPUs, maybe that one instance I saw where the fonts were blurred was a one off? The blurring issue was more about browsers not in explorer.exe but where I noticed it was actually in explorer.exe as I mentioned when I opened my external HDD which has 2 TB of videos in list view, the fonts were blurred until I did a refresh. Offcourse, we can't say that the latest nVIDIA drivers haven't been buggy as well...

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

On my laptop with AMD graphics I can say I mostly see the issue with Firefox more than anywhere else, but it can happen anywhere. I ran ATi/AMD pretty much exclusively from 1998-2011 and got fed up with the driver issues and got a GTX 580 3 years ago which I have had no issues with unless I was using beta drivers, which I just don't do anymore. In any case, it is disappointing to see that long term nobody has done anything to fix this issue.

5. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Right, I won't install it then, just to be on the safe side

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

If it isn't a huge security issue it's good policy not to install MS updates just because they 'recommend' them IMO.

7. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

yeah I guess you're right. What baffles me is, according to the KB article of that update, it promises a lot of enhancements to Direct Write and Direct 3D and some video codecs, but seems to do the opposite and hasn't been fixed for over a year. Micro$h4ft doesn't care

8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

That isn't necessarily a safe assumption either. If I recall correctly, WGA was passed off as a security update.

9. Daveski17

Yeah, they don't just seem to have dropped the ball these days, it's like they don't even care where it is. lol

10. Daveski17

Good point.

11. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

LOL!! Good one bro!

Cheers :D

12. Daveski17

:)

13. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

If you don't use IE 10+, then there isn't much use in getting that platform update for Win 7. Don't know if you game or not, but it's known to cause problems there too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.