Does anyone have the shield randomly turn off

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by cheater87, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

jeeperscreepers,

Glad it works for you, this is the same experience that I mentioned to your question in the thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=137382&highlight=helpfromfrance

post #2, as soon as I went padi, no more problems with it shutting off. I don't know about others or if I am just lucky, but it has worked perfect since. (knock on wood :D )

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  2. jeeperscreepers

jeeperscreepers Registered Member

Hi HelpFromFrance-

I do recall that you were having the same problem(s) and that they disappeared with the paid version. Seems to me that I read that the unpaid version (once the trial period expires) loses the shield--maybe something to do with that coding that isn't included in the licensed software? At any rate, glad all is working!:thumb:

Best regards,
    j/c

3. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Hmm can you please post the content of your error.txt here?

Thanks.

Regards,

Vinzenz

4. craig_06

craig_06 Registered Member

I have had the resident shield turn off (grey) several times since installing v.4.0 mostly while online.
    Yesterday I started using the "tea timer" in spybot and today for the first time had the "start with windows" turn off, I was alerted of a registry change by "tea timer" and denied the change, however it immediately alerted me of a change again, this time I accepted it and at this point the start with windows was turned off.
    I exported the registry from both the resident shield turning off and from the start with windows turn off if they are any help

5. iwmfs

iwmfs Registered Member

I am having the same problem too, but have decided to leave it off as having it on seems to grind me right down to a halt. Just like being back on dial-up.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i cant find any error.txt

i just enabled teh shield. if it turns off again i will do another search for error.txt

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you do have one it should be located in your Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0 folder.

8. WSFuser

well it happened again and i have yet to see a error.txt

any other ideas vinzenz or peter?

i think this happens when ewido autoupdates. maybe theres a bug and the guard wont always restart properly?

9. WSFuser

ok it shutdown again. there was an error.txt this time. heres teh contents:

10. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

You have received a warning from the guard about an infection, don't you?

That is interessting, because I never saw this error before. (This error is just there to see if there wents something wrong but it should never appear. Hum I will dig into it) But it *should not* be related to the guard problem.

Regards,

11. WSFuser

well yes, ewido did prompt for one malware and i had it cleaned.

also i left the comp running while i slept and the error.txt had two more entries:

12. GS2

GS2 Registered Member

Got the same problem, seems to happen after a download of signatures - but not always o_O

here is my error.txt log:

Using the trial version.

13. WSFuser

heres an new error message but from a different machine then the previous errors ive posted:

14. jla956

jla956 Registered Member

Yes, my Resident Shield deactivates several times a day entirely on its own. I have version 4.0.0.172. After I go in and reactivate the Resident Shield it will work fine. I will leave the computer for several hours and when I return the Resident Shield will have somehow have been deactivated again. Very strange.

Please let me know your solution to this.

15. pjdm

pjdm Registered Member

I had posted on another topic but this seems to be the supported thread. I have 4.0.0.172 trial. The icon is greyed out each night and sometimes during the day. The Start with Windows also checks OFF. When installed, I had 115,755 detections in malware and Ewido crashed when carrying out recommended actions. The list of infections is now empty. I am also running the AVG 7.1 Trial. Subsequent scans have returned nothing. WinXPSP1.

When the Resident Shield turns off, the error.txt file is not updated but one exists from installation.

Code:
    Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 0000274C,  Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287
    Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 0000274D,  Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287
    Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 00002741,  Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287
    Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 00002741,  Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287

I also have the .ERR file and dump from the crash but I don't know if that relates to this problem. Hope it helps.

16. blacksheep57

blacksheep57 Registered Member

Well there ya go. Everybody just upgrade to the paid version. lol o_O I too have the problem of resident shield turning itself off. I use Norton Internet Security 2006. I don't know how or why, but it turns itself? off 4 or 5 times a day. I think it is while the puter is idle but have not checked it out to be 100% sure.

17. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Yes, I've only had it two days and it happened a few times already.

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I've had it for quite some time now and have never experienced this problem. I'm running it with NOD as my only other security program behind a router.

19. Hobbes260

Hobbes260 Registered Member

I am currently using the evaluation version (4.0.0.172) and have noticed that resident shield is disabled after it automatically connects to the update server. My guess is that it becomes disabled because of the definitions being updated. I would think that this should be very easy to fix.

20. blofeld

blofeld Registered Member

I am on about day 3 of my evaluation and I am getting the same problem. I have one entry in the error.txt file, but the file was dated a couple of days ago and the problem has been happening on a regular basis since then.

I don't think that this is the problem. Mine has just updated while I have been working at the PC and the shield remained active.

It only seems to become inactive when I am not looking :cautious: Maybe it is something to do with the screensaver? Although there are lots of things going on in the background all the time.

Although paying for ewido seems to fix it - I am not sure that I want to go down that route just yet.

21. shajack

shajack Registered Member

I've had the same problem - seems to be whenever the automatic updates occur, the resident shield turns off. Funny as I have it installed on 2 computers, both xp, but it only turns off on one. Seems like every day. Here's my error log:

Error: failed to connect to driver, Value: 00000002, Position: .\SelfProtection.cpp, 19
    Error: Wrong answer:
    , Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 625
    Error: error during receive, Value: 00002745, Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 460

22. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is the same, but on a 15 user site, just one of the users has a problem where sometimes the icon is gone from the system tray. To get the icon back, they must run Ewido from the desktop icon & then all is fine for a few days until it stops again. I've not been able to get much feedback so far about the issue from them.

BTW This site uses ISA 2004 proxy & every Ewido is able to update with no probs.

23. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I just installed Ewido again to give it another try and the guard won't even start. Every attempt to get it started ends with 'failed' to do so :(

24. blofeld

blofeld Registered Member

This thread has been running since July and so far there has been precious little information coming from the ewido team!

I have 21 days left on my evaluation and if there isn't a fix before then...I am outta here and ewido lose a potential customer.

All it needs is an official 'we know there is a problem and here is the fix', but one has to ask if they are not interested now with potential customers, just how interested are they once they have our money. If they cannot be bothered to sort this, just how conscientious are they about the rest of the software?

25. Darvus

Darvus Registered Member

It really is a shame...

I signed up as an official reseller because I was so impressed with the old Ewido. I fix computers for a living and have been installing the Ewido demo as a staple for over a year now. It's concerning to have to tell my clients "keep an eye on it because the demo likes to turn itself off once in a while". Makes it much harder to make the eventual sale, despite the retail product fixing the problem.

It's hard to see such a great product take a back seat after a corporate buy-out. These guys really need to get on the ball here and fix it. For the time being, I'll still sell it, but I'll be hesitant to use the trial in cases where they don't purchase it outright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.