Does anybody run NOD32 along with another AV?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by TravisO, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TravisO

TravisO Registered Member

PS: I'm well aware two AVs would: do double duty, use more ram and cpu, etc. I'm not interested in the flame/troll posts, I won't reply to them, just looking for somebody who happens to run this kind of setup.

I'm interested in running NOD32 on my work machine because I don't trust Symantic v10, not to mention it never updates, I have to manually click the 'Live Update' button to get a new definition, which are only released once a day.

Because it's a work computer, I'm not going to remove their "enterprise approved" AV package, and even though I always perform sane user practices at work, I still would like an AV package I can trust.

So if anybody runs a 2nd AV package, or has in the past, any opinions, what AV package were you running? Did it and NOD32 play nice together?

2. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

since u hv norton, u don't really need to run another AV.

I am currently running to 2 AVs, 1) Avast 2) Twister Antivirus(3 months trial)
    both free......
    Not too sure if its overkill...:D

3. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

You can have 2 antivirus in ur computer, but only 1 of them has to be running real time protection, so u can disable norton's real time proteccion and install NOD32 as ur main antivirus. Having 2 antivirus running real time protection at the same time causes several issues in the computers, like crashes or BSOD

4. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

It is never a good idea to run more than one AV in real time.

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I have multiple AV's installed on my main computer, but NOD32 is the only one running real-time.

The rest are just for testing purposes or additional scans and clean-ups of clients computers.

You can have as many installed as you want, but never have more than 1 running at the same time. They will fight each other tooth and nail and your system will be the one taking the punishment.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I personally feel running two is paranoia, I've always trusted ESET and it's never let me down.

7. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Absolutely forget about running NOD32 w/ any Symantec AV products installed at the same time, this will result in unusable and possibly unbootable system. If you don't trust Symantec, what's the point in relying on it for realtime protection really?

Avira might work as an on-demand scanner only if you choose to not install any of the guard components on install. There's no such option for NOD32 so forget about this completely.

Attached Files:

8. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

I know Symantec and AVG don't play well together. I haven't tried Symantec and Nod32. (I have licenses of both.)

Symantec and AVG both doing realtime ends up in making the computer run very very slow. The problem is deadlocking. Boith AV's will try to prevent the other from accessing the file until it's scanned for a virus.

I'd suggest fixing your Corporate NAV. Perhaps a reinstall? Perhaps your PC isn't set for automatic updating from the master server? NAV has very high detection scores in the antivirus software reviews. Depending on who you look at they are in the same ball park as Nod +-.

I have Symantec Endpoint Protection on a number of PCs. While it doesn't update as many times a day as Nod32, the last update is never more then 1 day old.

9. Capp

Capp Registered Member

As I mentioned above, I have multiple AV's installed, but only NOD running real-time.

But I highly recommend not installing anything else if you are running Symantec or McAfee. Both of these programs will fight to the death (of your system) to be the only one. They are notorious for wanting exclusive control of your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.