does a virus still dangerous after changing extension?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by bollity, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bollity

bollity Registered Member

if there is a malware with exe extension and i changed it to avi for example it now opens with media player but sure it shows nothing, does it do any damage if i try to open it?

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Well if you want to change a virus' extension I recommend changing it to *.infected that way you can't execute it. However, as far as I know changing it from *.exe to *.avi won't infect you as it needs to be executed as an *.exe. But if the *.exe was bound into the *.avi file you can be infected.

3. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

As far as I know,It won't infect your computer.I know someone used to changed virus' extension to separate them.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If you changed .exe to an .avi media player would not open it at all

5. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

it depends on what you change the extension to.

if you change it to something for which there is no registered viewer (.ZZQ perhaps) then there would be no problem.

if you change it to something for which there is a registered viewer but the viewer doesn't try to autodetect what to do with the file based on it's contents (for example, changing it to .JPG where mspaint is your registered .JPG viewer) then there still shouldn't be a problem.

if you change it to something for which there is a registered viewer and that viewer does try to autodetect the correct way to handle the file based on the contents of the file then it might still be dangerous (because the viewer might decide the file needs to be executed).

probably it's safest to choose an extension for which there is no registered viewer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.