Does a Clone include the MBR ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Joeythedude, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Hi

If I do a Clone of my Hard Drive , does it include the MBR ?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Yes it does. A full disk image also does the same. Though for some reason you have the option not to restore the MBR if you don't want to do so.

Xpilot

3. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Thanks.

You might have seen this in ATI as well. :)

I created a Full Backup using the "sector-by-sector approach" & included my unallocated space.
    I expected the *.tib file to be the same size as my original drive ( 55GB ) , but instead it was only 44 GB , (which was the file space used used on my original drive ) .

I thought a the "sector-by-sector approach" would result in an image file the same size as my original drive ?

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I would expect a sector by sector to be just that, but then as TI understands Microsoft file systems, it may just select sectors used. It certainly seems to image all the sectors if a Linux file system is on the drive.

The MBR by the way isn't that big, 4 * 16 byte partition table entries(the reason you can only have 4 partitions normally), 445 bytes of executable code (which is often used these days by boot loaders) and two bytes of boot signature a grand total of 512 bytes = 1 sector.

Colin

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Sorry I don't have a specific reference for you but maybe you could search the thread up: IIRC, I read here a couple of years back that ATI will do the sector by sector but just store the fact that sectors are unoccupied, not actually store the sectors. I guess actually those sectors could contain orphaned file bits and whatnot but my recollection was that unoccupied sectors would not take up room in the image, even of a sector by sector image.

Not much of an answer for you but at least an indication that the reduced size of that image may be by design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.