Does 2.7 offer the same protection as v4?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by vookster, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vookster

vookster Registered Member

So, the firefox hanging download issue with v4 is driving me nuts. And i never had this issue with v2.7.

So, does 2.7 offer pretty much the same protection?
    I mean the definitions are all gonna be pretty much the same right?
    Obviously the scan engine is different (which is basically what i want to get away from in v4)

I never had a problem with v2.7, reluctantly updated to v3 a few months back, and then v4 the other day...been nothing but problems since.

I miss not being able to see what is being scanned in realtime like v2 would show, and the ability to easily shutdown / "quit" eset entirely if needbe.
    And i only use what use to be called IMON and realtime scanning.
    I hate the new v3 and 4 GUI...especially the "advanced tree".

So that being said, what do i really need v4 for?

Thanks for reading.

2. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

ESET NOD32 Antivirus and ESET Smart Security 4.0 are still really buggy. A recent example is the issue with the new release of Windows Vista SP2. v2.x is aging and although the Virus Signature Databases and scanning modules are being updated regularly, the program itself is not. Eventually malware will be to advanced for v2.x to handle. v3/v4, especially the latest v4, have new technologies to deal with new and evolving malware. But as mentioned before since v4 is still buggy, I would go with v3 which is what I use. I really like the GUI in v3 and it's still light on resources (I heard v4 is still light on resources too, but heavier than v2/v3).

For now v2.x is fine, but before your subsciption expires and you renew it, you might want to make sure at least v3 works with your system and maybe even v4 because a year from now v2.x may not be capable of handling recent malware.

Regards,

Mark.

4. arithona

arithona Registered Member

what I love most is v2.7, but I changed to V4 a couple of weeks ago,and I find it some difficult to understand some of the settings.

5. vookster

thanks all, shout out XMarkx....pretty much what i was looking to hear.

I guess ill just stick with v4 for the time being... o_O

Ya the v3 and v4 GUI interface was a big jump. Personally i dont like them at all, and the way everything is broken down is rather blah.

It drive me nuts that in v3 and v4 the current file being scanned by the amon and the imon is not shown. I loved that about v2...
    God forbid my AV actually lets me know what its scanning at that particular moment...:mad:

6. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

V4 has this feature back, you can see the files being scanned like in V2, to do that open the main window of Nod32, then go to Protection Status > Statistics

7. vookster

awesome, thanks for the heads up :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.