docx to doc converter

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Anyone know of a good software to convert .docx files to .doc? I have Microsoft Office 2000 and the file I am trying to convert was created in Microsoft Office 2007. As always all replies will be appreciated and I would thank you in advance.

John

2. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@jpcummins

Great question, as i and others i know have had a few Docx's that we couldn't view. So i'm hoping for some nice solutions too :)

@jdd58

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

"To open Microsoft Office Word 2007 .docx or .docm files with Microsoft Office Word 2003, Word 2002, or Word 2000, you need to install the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for 2007 Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint File Formats and any necessary Office updates. By using the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system, you can open, edit some items, and save Office Word 2007 documents in previous versions of Word."

5. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Didn't know the Compatibility Pack was available for Word 2000. Good to know also. Thanks.

6. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

If you just have one document to convert you might try the online converter Zamzar. I've used it a few times with good results.

If you're concerned about security or if you need to convert on a regular basis then the compatibility pack or the free OpenOffice suite might be the way to go. OpenOffice Writer (3.0 or later) can open .docx and save as .doc.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Go for the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack ! :D

8. mvario

mvario Registered Member

also Google Docs or OpenOffice.

9. jpcummins

After checking the version of Microsoft Office I have I find that it is 2002 and not 2000. Because I do not use Microsoft Office very often I have never felt the need to download and install any updates. Now it looks as though I should first download and install the 2002 updates prior to downloading and installing Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for 2007.

Assuming I am correct in my thinking what is the most effective way of doing this? Rather than installing the updates individually, and hope I get them all, would I not accomplish the same by downloading and installing Microsoft Office 2002 Service Pack 2 and any subsequent Service Packs?

And, if this is correct has anyone experienced any problems doing so? During tax season I am hesitant to do anything to my computer that might upset the apple cart. Again, I will appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

10. allizomeniz

I think it would depend on your connection type and operating system. If you have wireless, broadband or DSL I would just download the Service Pack.

If, on the other hand, you're on dial-up and have Windows XP you should be able to get the updates from the Microsoft website. Choose "Custom" (not Express). You can then select a few at a time until you get them all. This eliminates the problem of getting 99% done only to encounter a failure. :D

If you have Vista you can also selectively download one or two at a time- Control Panel>Windows Updates. Check the one(s) you want. I don't know about Windows 7 but it's probably similar to Vista.

Make sure you have a restore point before you start and if something goes wrong you can just roll back.

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Office Service Packs do not include Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for 2007 and they are 2 different Office updates. No problems here with updating both.

If you are paranoid about these updates, you may install Shadowdefender or Returnil first, go into Shadowmode and test to see if these updates work for you. A reboot will remove all these tests changes. Search information for these 2 softwares here and there are tons of these information in this Wilders forum.:D

12. jpcummins

I don't believe I made myself clear. My Microsoft Office 2002 has never been updated. To accomplish this can I simply download and install Microsoft Office 2002 Service Pack 2? Likewise if there is a subsequent Service Pack 3.

My question would be do the Microsoft Office Service Pack(s) include all of the necessary updates?

If the answer is yes, the Service Packs do include all the updates, then I believe I would be safe to install 1) the Microsoft Office 2002 Service Pack(s) and then 2) the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for 2007. Is this correct?

As always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

13. allizomeniz

I would say yes, the Service Pack should have all the necessary updates. For example, SP 1 will have all the updates issued since the product was released; SP 2 will have everything in Service Pack 1 plus all the updates issued since SP 1; SP 3 will have everything from SP 1 & SP 2 plus everything else, etc., etc. At least that's always been my understanding of how they work. Maybe someone else will have more to say about it.

When you install the SP it will determine which ones you need and which ones you already have and install accordingly. I would just install the most recent SP and then if there are any you still need you can always download them individually as needed. Then once you're up to date, you should be able to install the Compatibility Pack. I'm not sure, but the Compatibility Pack may actually be included in the SP or it may ask you during installation if you want to include it, or maybe not. :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  14. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes. But why bother with the Service Pack update.

All you need is a docx to doc converter (see OP) and so our advice to you is install Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for 2007 and you are good to go !:cool:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.