"Doctor, can you save my files?"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Welp...

...in another most excellent adventure. derring-do, pilot error & profound stupidity and/or being tired...

I just erased 1.34GB of stuff via the Shift-DEL method, and thus, I bypassed the Recycle Bin. Um, before I proceed is there any app that may find/reclaim that stuff? Or, at least, the backup program's DIR that was stored in same DIR where items to be backed up resided?

If there is an app that may help, is it an app that you must have installed, prior to The Big Bang-Ooops? Do I write this off to the "live & learn, SOL" category and move on?

Was backing up debris on 2nd drive/to same drive, to make room for routine backups. Thought if backup app zipped (most all of that DIR to a zip file) I could then DEL all else there as I've come to have faith in backup prog. of choice.

Apparently then when I selected what to DEL., I clicked one too many folders, and the rest as they say, is...

Thanks for ideas,

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

3. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Another free option would be Recuva. There is a portable version you can install on and run from a flash drive so as not to overwrite any of the files you already deleted.

Here is a link to the main page: http://www.recuva.com/

Here is a link to the portable version: http://www.recuva.com/download/builds

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

That was actually the main reason I mentioned Restoration, it is a standalone application and can be readily run off a memory stick, which can be a rather important consideration in this type of case.

Blue

7. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that Restoration was a portable app also. I was just trying to offer options. Good to know we were on the same page though.:D

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have just had great success with File Scavenger and at $49 is cheaper than most.

The best thing to do is to demo all of them and see which is most likely to succeed. Of course make sure you do not write to that partition.

10. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.