Do You Use Two-Factor Authentication?

Discussion in 'polls' started by CyberCat, Nov 16, 2012.

?

I use Two-Factor Authentication with:

1. Amazon Web Services

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Battle.net

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Certain Microsoft Products

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. DreamHost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. DropBox

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. eBay

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. Facebook

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. Google/Gmail

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  9. LastPass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. My Bank

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  11. PayPal

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  12. Steam

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  13. WordPress

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Other Service(s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. I do not use Two-Factor Authentication

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CyberCat

CyberCat Registered Member

It seems these days more companies are offering 'two-factor authentication', a way of authentication which requires two forms of identification.

Please review the list above and check which services, if any, for which you use two-factor authentication. :)

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I use them if it is available, such as in Google and others. :D

3. poison

poison Registered Member

Yes I use it for Dropbox, Google, PayPal and Steam. I believe the PayPal two factor authentication could be more secure. Using the SMS option there is a simple option to hit 'Didn't get the code?' and skip the security key log in. If you select that option it will ask for your security questions or bank info, if you are a victim of a simple phising scam, the perpetrator(s) are in.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Nope. Too annoying.

5. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Agree with Hungry Man.

Also I was in a situation that had I used Two-Factor Authentication, I could have been locked out of my account for at least 2 months. My cell phone does not work outside of my country.

6. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I use two factor authentication with my online banking. It's a mandatory and I can't access my account without personal certificate.

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

My Bank requires for a Two-Factor Authentication.

8. poison

poison Registered Member

Sure it can be annoying at times but there are other options other than receiving a text on your phone.. Like the PayPal security key which is a credit card sized hardware key that you can keep in your wallet. I think it also works with eBay. I'm sure other services will offer something similar. I know dropbox and google works together, too. For google you can print out one time passwords for when you don't have your phone with you which you can store wherever you want. The same for LastPass. I know with Google you can also use application specific passwords too. For example you could set up email on your phone, iPad etc or use a computer in an internet cafe with a different password and if you ever lose your device or a device you use is compromised you can revoke the access without anybody ever having access to your main account...

I feel a lot safer with Two-Factor Authentication :thumb:

9. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Yes, for doing online banking. Where I live there is a scam where people receive first a phising mail that looks like it's coming from a bank, when people click on it and fill in a form, a while later the scammers will phone you that somebody tried to access your online bank account and you need to give your credentials, after that the scammers trying to gain access to your online bank account by asking password, sign transactions with the generated challenge codes to sign a bank tranfser.

For online banking it's the only safe way to use two-factor authentication. A sandboxed browser will not protect you, because in this case no rootkit or trojan is required to transfer money from your bank account.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.