Do you use real-time AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RedZero, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There's also zero performance hit with Linux, which I'm on now, and no need for any added apps either...

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I can't benchmark the (theorical) performance hit during work (network performance, disk performance, CPU performance). Or do you mean performance hit such as delayed startup caused by the loading of drivers?
    Couldn't agree more. But remember that Linux does packet filtering and it doesn't affect the performance :)
    It would be nice to measure the impact of a "HIPS" like AppArmor.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I was running SuSE 10.3 last week and always wonder about AppArmor. Right now I'm on Debian 4.0, another favorite of mine.. Performance is good... :)

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

No, i mean while working under normal use of the computer.

5. lucas1985

Well, I can't find any metric which shows a performance hit. Since I have a (relatively) slow DSL connection (1M/256K) it might be hiding the performance impact of packet filtering.
    On the other hand, GeSWall doesn't introduce a delay in file-related operations (because it doesn't create a virtual container and uses built-in features of Windows) and the CPU usage is always under 1% during idle tasks.

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Sounds interesting, thanks for the explanation :)

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have already scanned my system with KAV online scanner (several times), and all I can see is an entry in the list of 'add or remove programs' - Kaspersky online scanner- size 10.25 MB.

Can you elaborate about these 'objects IDs'?

Thanks

8. lucas1985

Sure :)
    Kaspersky Online Scanner ObjectID
    BlueZannetti's excellent writeup
    Is KAV working on chkdsk ?

9. TongHips

TongHips Registered Member

Yeah!!!

ช่ายแล้วครับ เปิดไว้จะได้ไม่เป็น อันตราย ต่อเครื่องเรา

10. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Is there any possible way of showing posts in English, so we can all do our thing with it?
    If this starts.......NO GOOD!

11. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:) Usually, a moderator will step in and remind the poster that only posts in English are allowed here. They probably just haven't seen it yet. Don't worry!;)

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

As has been just pointed out, please keep messages readable for the target users. Aside from the dedicated LooknStop French support forum, that generally means English language.

Thanks in advance.

Blue

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Gee, I didn't know it was such a lenghty issue! Correct me please if I'm wrong: Not everyone seems to be affected by these Objects IDs, and more over Kaspersky online scanner may not have the same impact as installing the program or the suite.

Now do I have to run chkdsk and time stage 2 to see if my system is affected? (I wish I had never asked you about these damn 'objects').

Sorry I realize this is off topic, and given the heavy nature of those threads perhaps is better to leave it as it is.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  14. BlueZannetti

It's not that it's lengthy per se, but hard to debug. About the only technically reasonable inference that I've been able to make is that systems prone to prior instability (it doesn't matter the cause - power glitches, system crashes due to hardware or software issues, software conflicts, etc.) are more likely to see the untoward effects of this situation due to the much higher level of file system object creates/writes with this facility - it's pure statistics at work. I don't have proof of that, but it seems to a reasonable conjecture given the observed behavioral profile.

By the way, the online scanner also creates the file object ID's (even though there is no conceivable advantage or need to do so). With respect to having file object ID's on a system, the impact is the same as installing the regular program.

If chkdsk completes normally, I'd say that there is no problem. Given the diversity of system specifications, how much information a given user keeps online, and the precise structure of the directory structure that they maintain, there isn't really any way to say "if chkdsk exceeds X minutes, you have a problem". Hence, I would focus on whether it completes and validate consistency of the file system. If it does, there is no need to worry.

Blue

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks a lot for taking time to explain yet again something that must have been time consuming for you in those threads. Unfortunately this kind of things once one gets to know they exist, it's very difficult to shrug them off and say who cares.

I'll run chkdsk in the morning, and hope everything is fine.

16. BlueZannetti

The thing to keep in mind is that the time to complete chkdsk must increase if file object ID's exist. The increase in execution time is normal and should be expected.

As for whether wholesale problems are an inevitable result, the empirical evidence and technical expectation is no, they are not.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.