Do you use AppRemover?

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, Sep 9, 2012.

?

Do you use AppRemover?

1. Yes

17.5%
  2. No

76.2%
  3. No, never heard of it, but now I will download it and keep it for when the need arises

6.3%
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I don't believe in "Uninstaller" programs anymore nor registry cleaning but I do love the fact that AppRemover completely removes any security program removing all traces eliminating the need for the separate uninstallers of particular Antivirus/Internet Security programs

I noticed AppRemover isn't very popular on these forums despite the fact that I know many of us tend to switch from one AV to the other for testing purposes sometimes

http://www.appremover.com/

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

As usual the poll is missing options.

A simple "No, never heard of it." would have been nice. I certainly and not going to download it. I have no use for such programs.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No, never heard of it, and don't need it either.

4. berryracer

So what do you do if you decide to install a diff. AV? Uninstall the current one regularly leaving behind the traces / reg entries and deteriorate the performance and efficiency of your computer? :rolleyes:

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Yes, I've used AppRemover.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

No as well, I use only portable security applications.

7. berryracer

Just used it to uninstall Bitdefender Internet Security! works like a charm :)

8. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

You read my mind dude :D

9. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Never needed to use app. like that.

Once I use the freeware ZSoft Uninstaller (snapshot based uninstaller) I never needed to use clean tools that developers do to uninstall their security software (like Comodo, Avast, Avira, McAfee, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, etc.).

In fact using ZSoft Uninstaller when installing security software, it allows me not to need use any tools like "List of Security Software uninstallers". Once ZSoft handle very well with app. that need to reboot when install/uninstall (like most of security app. require), it has done an excellent work!

ZSoft Uninstaller has allowed to have my PC in a clean state, since I use it for a long time ago.

10. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Yes, it can be handy, but is terribly slow.

11. niki

niki Registered Member

I rather use the uninstaller tools that security software providers provide. If those would fail (not yet) then I might look into using something else like AppRemover.

12. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I simply use the uninstaller that comes with the program.

In general I do not use an AV. If I do it's Outpost Security Suite or perhaps Microsoft Security Essentials. I've never had a problem with either. I don't worry much about residual traces left behind. Folder and files are easily deleted. Registry stuff, no big deal, I don't recall ever having any performance issues with residual traces left behind in the registry. Those are simple to find and removed too, if need be.

The AV products I've had problems with (McAfee, Symantec, or Kapersky) provide their own removal tools, which do the job. I would never put those product on my systems, but I have had to remove them from friends systems.

Another reason I would not install AppRemove.... from Softpedia "Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime". Sort of ironic if you ask me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  13. philby

philby Registered Member

I don't use any of these AVs either but when I do have to remove one for someone else, I use the relevant 'removal tool' for whichever product the average home user uses (Norton, McAfee etc. etc.).

philby

14. carat

carat Guest

+1 :)

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Remaining traces and registry entries will not have any effect on permance. The only need to remove them is if you are installing another AV and it won't install becuase if thinks another AV is still installed due to some of the leftover traces. AppRemover is useful if zn AVs uninstaller fails to run or crashes before finishing the uninstall, as issues tend to arise from incomplete uninstalls.

One exception to traces not having issues if I recall correctly was that one version of Iolo's Antivirus left a service still runinng after finishing the uninstall.

16. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

For those who might missed this great useful post from the thread "What's your security setup this days?":

"Windows Button -> Control panel -> System -> Advanced system settings ->
    System properties -> Advanced tab -> Environment variables

Then add a "New" System variable
    devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices with a value of 1

Press OK on all screens.

Then, go to device manager. Then enable "Show hidden devices" in the View menu.

Then navigate to "Non Plug n Play devices"

In the list you should remove all AVG entries, there are probably multiple. In general all greyed out items are safe to remove, since they are leftovers.
    All security applications leave a lot of "inactive drivers" left after uninstall. So if you tested quite some apps you will see a lot of drivers (especially Norton, AVG and avast! leave a lot behind)."

(sorry, i don't remember who's the author)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  17. RSpanky

RSpanky Registered Member

No I have never heard of it

18. Mr Answer Man

Mr Answer Man Registered Member

I've been using AppRemover for quite a while now to uninstall security applications and they recently just released a free Mac version for Mac users who might be interested, www.appremover.com

19. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I too don't believe in uninstaller softwares: I try new softwares in virtual session, and then I decide if I want to install the program. If the software needs reboot or doesn't work in virtual session I install it to try and then I restore a previous disk image.

20. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

My preferred method exactly. :thumb:

21. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I use the free version of Revo Uninstaller for many years and I think it works fine, you have just to check the recycle bin if it has removed something that you might think are of still are have some importance to the system or to you. ;)

22. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I use iObit uninstaller. Very clean applications and works quite well too. For testing purposes I use Toolwiz Time Freeze.

23. itman

itman Registered Member

How does AppRemover stack up against Revo Uninstaller Pro?

The free version of Revo is not x64 compatiable. Also Pro runs realtime so all installer changes are recorded and therfore I assume can be easily reversed through uninstalling within Pro. A nice feature to get rid of Adware, PUP, PUA garbage that seems to increasing in frequency currently. Revo is currently running a 50% off sale on Pro.

24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

They work very differently - AppRemover looks for the actual files and registry keys used by security apps, allowing for complete removal of security software. On the other hand Revo searches leftover files and registry keys, but it likely not to good a cleanup as AppRemover, as it can easily miss items since it does not anything at all about the app being removed.

25. itman

itman Registered Member

Based on the following description, I would have to say Pro would do a more thorough removal since again, it's basically keeping a log of every system change made by the app installer. About as close to snapshotting as you can get.

Comodo also has an unistaller that works similar Revo Pro.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.