Do you use a proxy ip address to access this site?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I do. I browse with proxies whenever I need to be anonymous. Which is whenever I am not using sites where I must post personal info like facebook, my bank account, my school's website, and etc.

What about you?

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

For this site and others I frequent regularly, I don't use a proxy. There's not much point when I've been visiting it for nearly 10 years without one. Anyone who keeps tract of where I go has seen me here countless times already. I'll generally use Tor and/or a proxy when I go off of my normal beaten path or am obtaining something that may be controversial, suspicious, or potentially illegal (leaks, hack dumps, etc).
    "Must post" ??

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I access Wilders through four VPN hops. I use no proxies for anything using my true name. For other pseudonyms, I add another VPN and/or Tor to the mix. I rarely attempt to be strictly anonymous.

4. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I am assuming you aren't using tor for this site because of the snooping problems of tor exit nodes.

Why 4 vpns?

Yes, I also use VPN + Tor (inside a VM) for other pseudo onymns.

5. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I'm not using any proxy/VPN/TOR to access Wilders, because I don't see any reason to hide myself here. Everything I say here I would say under my own name as well, without any shame, but I like using "Nebulus" more :)

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's not so much that. Wilders is using HTTPS.

It's just that Tor isn't necessary, given the context.

Actually, it's two singles and a double.

It seems like a reasonable compromise among security, speed and cost. Latency with four single VPNs is too high. Using two double VPNs is faster, but then there are only two providers.

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

No, and I rarely use my VPN's or a proxy at all really. Only if I'm doing something I consider sensitive, and/or with personally identifiable info involved. Otherwise it's just not worth the slowdown to me.

8. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I use my VPN all the time, Why not? You pay for a service, and anything important you do online is encrypted with SSL so there can be no snooping on your passwords. I also don't worry about my VPN exit server being linked to my real name as any investigation would show that the server is a VPN Exit server and obviously more then one user is connected so my data and everyone elses is separate. I also don't care who knows that I'm using a VPN service because its not a crime and you can't get in trouble for using one. I also can stream HD video with a VPN fine so there is no real reason for me to disconnect from the service, other then for pay-pal which likes to lock my account due to foreign IP.

9. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Sites with personal and sensitive information are access over VPN from a very specific computer in our household. We disconnect (unplug) it from our network and power it down until it is needed. My family doesn't particularly use the internet all that much except to check their e-mail, listen to music on you-tube, find recipes, etc. The exception is my father, whom participates in online forums. He's doing better with computer security and has adopted some good online browsing practices, but the sites he posts on may reflect back on our family as a whole. Not sure what else I can do in this regard. As for myself, I don't use the internet enough for anything sensitive/private, so a free VPN like Security KISS is perfect for my needs. I'm not trying to hide from Uncle Sam, but I would prefer to keep my data safe from other third parties. I must admit though that I still don't fully trust VPN services.

10. Taliscicero

I would only ever trust VPN providers that use their real names in their websites are clear about who they are and why, have very detailed FAQ's and are generally well liked. I think there is not harm in using them constantly if you can deal with the small speed drop. If you wanna keep your fathers activity secret, just DD-WRT your router with a well known company like AirVPN.

11. Techwiz

Right now the issues is a bit complex for me. AT&T just upgraded everyone to u-verse in my area, so we are running a combination modem/router. I don't see support for the device yet and I'm not sure of a suitable alternative. At this point, it seems we are stuck with the box they gave us. The only two options I see available would be to run a secondary router (researching) or running a VPN client on his computer. If I end up with the latter, then I need to find a way to forcibly leave the client running. I've been using Security KISS myself, which has had great speed considering its the free client, but I've heard a lot of talk about AirVPN. I'll definitely do some research. Got to get something setup, this new u-verse IP traces to a box within walking distance of my home. At least before, it would turn up at different ISP centers across my state. Definitely a concern and thanks for the advice.

12. Taliscicero

Check YouTube/Google for advice on how to retrieve your service providers user name and password from the router if they are locking you to it. My ISP did the same, and its as simple as running the SSID password and MAC through a reversing tool which was easy to find on the internet to grant you the login details for your service. Then you can use your own router / get a DD-WRT enabled router and use that, with a service "I recommend AirVPN for DD-WRT due to fast speeds and privacy". You can ask for help on how to set it up or simply read the guide on their website, and you have completely encrypted internet for everyone using the internet in your house. Its also transparent so your dad need not even know its there.

13. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I'm very concerned about ISPs pushing consumers down that path. ISP especially telecom ISP provided equipment is a security/privacy risk and you really need your own router at the edge of your (home) network. In part to prevent the ISP equipment from sniffing link local traffic. Thing is, a secondary router won't necessarily solve the IP Address problems. If you can't easily change your IP Address at will *and* keep the IP Address from closely corresponding to your home, you are totally screwed :(

Have you researched the situation and found any means of forcing your external/public IP Address to change?

14. Techwiz

This will be good experience for me, seeing as networking is at the edge of my working knowledge. Much of what I known is self-taught, shared knowledge from sites like wilders, and from my CIS program. So I don't feel inept at tackling this challenge, but I do appreciate any continued advise and support anyone may have on the subject. I've got a few people at school I can consult Monday, so here is wishing for the best.

I feel the same way about this push and believe me I spent hours on the phone being redirected from department to department so they could address my concerns. I'm not sure what's worse, being given the run around or having the installation process morph into a disaster. The next concern is going to be IPV6 implementation. Last time I heard, IPV6 was far from ready at least for businesses and schools. AT&T feels its ready for home use, so who knows I may need to switch hardware within the next year or so. But I agree, consumers need the to have their choice of hardware and companies like AT&T that supply the cheapest equipment they can mark up is not helping. I'd switch providers, but its AT&T or Time Warner out here and I've heard a lot of bad things about that road runner service. So fingers crossed, that I can figure out something.

15. Taliscicero

When IPV6 comes out just disable it and use IPV4. One of the reasons they lock you to their router is because doing so they can train all their staff on the one router, and this cuts training costs by half. It also enables them to just send you a new router every time something goes wrong, again cutting maintenance costs. I also have a theory that the ISP build routers have some form of in-built rate limiting on your connection. It would only make sense.

16. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

If I go "where I'm known", I connect direct. Google, Bank, Netflix, etc... All other times, I'm on the VPN. I'd say 99% of my web surfing is on the VPN...that's why you get one! :D

PD

17. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Techwhiz,

Using the Airvpn approach would make it pretty safe with Dad and his online forums. Its actually quite easy to configure a firewall (they recommend Comodo but any good one will do) so that Dad can only get online via Air and their DNS. Practically speaking no leaks and since Dad can't browse without connecting to Air the activities are somewhat confined for browsing trails left.

Dad's computer could be set to auto connect and he might not even realize he is on a VPN. Not suggesting you deceive your Pop, just saying it can be seamless if he doesn't get network stuff.

Also, this way if your ISP is trying to be "curious about sites" the payload from your Dad's computer will be a blank slate to them. Period.

Worth a look anyway.

18. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I don't use a proxy ip address here but I use it for some other sites. :)

Is it true that a proxy server can log user names and passwords even if I access a site via HTTPS? :doubt: :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.