Do you use a mail client? What is it? Why?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bonedriven, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of managing my mails recently. I have about 4 email addresses alive. Each for different purpose. For example,one is for registering untrusted sites. Now it is full of ADS but It doesn't matter. :argh:

I used Thunderbird 2 years ago. Once I reinstalled my OS but I failed to restore all mails that had been managed by Tb, I then stopped using any mail client since I'm not sure how to use them fully.

One reason that I think a mail client is necessary is that I can login different mail services faster.

How do you guys manage your mails?

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I have outlook 2003 ,and thunderbird on the other 2 PC's.I have a Imap/gmail account, pop3/windows live account set up in each of the clients.
    Outlook 2003 has sometimes a problem remembering password ,so i like thunderbird more.Mozbackup seems a reliable back up solution for thunderbird but i use nothing now.
    For registering sites ,since they are not important u can use temporary email.There are many ,i like guerilla mail.

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Been using gmail for years :thumb:

4. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hello,

i use for my e-mails accounts Windows Live Mail and MailStore Home (free) to backup them on another drive.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Gmail is arguably one of the best services I could ever imagine to get from the internet. I have used Outlook for years, but I can't see any point in using a mail client anymore. Lately I discovered that it allows an off line record (read only), to check your old mail even when your are not connected.

They check your mail for viruses (very efficient, I have been notified several times) their antispam is formidable, 7GB of space available, and always working flawlessly. Some people have problems with the privacy issue, but I honestly think that any message sent through the internet can be read if it's not encrypted.

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

How about this:
    http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

I also use Gmail, but this is not my only e-mail.

7. bonedriven

Mozbackup and Mail Store are cool! Thanks!

I have just installed incredimail. Any idea about it?

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I just use yahoo webmail.
    i used to use outlook express but dont bother anymore.

9. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I use gmail. Once you get used to the labeling feature, you won't be able to live without it. Folders are sooooo 1990s:D

I also have a backup hotmail account, and my gmail account forwards a copy of every incoming email to my hotmail account. So if gmail is ever down, and I have to immediately check email, I can read it on hotmail. The backup has come in handy occasionally.

10. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

I have long used IncrediMail.
    Now, I have a mail in the clouds (to lighten my Windows). I use a mail of my Internet Provider (free account already).

But I need to ban an e-mail address of someone - like spam. I would like to prevent that person from posting in my mailbox ...

PROROOTECT

11. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Going to agree with several other posters, GMail all the way and once you get used to it you won't want to use anything else. Plus, GMail is computer and OS agnostic.

12. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

My own domain w/ unlimited aliases available, which yields a "forever" email address (vs. changing addresses every time you change ISP provider). Cost <$10 / yr.
    IMAP email hosting via EuMX. 10 Gb mail storage <$14 / yr.
    New / archived emails available anywhere on the planet via web interface as long as you have internet access.
    At home, I use Thunderbird, Sylpheed, Mulberry.

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Hmm. I guess I am just different. I have gmail accounts but hate browser interface to mail, of all kinds. I use gmail drive with my gmail accounts, so it adds a drive to my computer that is my gmail. I can add/drag files to and from gmail account but it acts like another removable drive.

I have hotmail for very long time. Most fortunate, that it is so old that Outlook Express works with it. this way, I only get message previews, then can in bulk delete all messages I don't want. If I open message, OE makes a copy on local machine, but they still exist on hotmail, so I can access agian from anywhere if needed. Used to be only 10m storage, now very large storage, so I keep everything I need on hotmail or gmail, and access from outside of browser. Browser to me seems so slow and counter productive.

When I do use email from ISP or domain, I use either calypso3 or courier. Always set clients to plain text, not rich text. Always download message headers only, then delete without bringing into my own computer. Also, when option is available, have leave message on server. Nothign is worse than checking email, opening email, and email is removed from server. Then if computer crashes, there goes only copy.

Some like apples, some like oranges. I like watermelon :D

Sul.

14. HAN

HAN Registered Member

For business, I would only consider Outlook, period.

For personal stuff, if I ran a client app, it would be either Outlook or Thunderbird. And even though I have Thunderbird on my PCs, I really don't use it much anymore. I have pretty much gone web mail. I have a Gmail, a Hotmail and 4 Yahoo addresses. I have Gmail retrieve Hotmail automatically and would do the same with Yahoo if they would allow POP3 on the free addresses. To bring it all together nice and neat, I use POP Peeper to see what's new on all of them...

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

At work, I use what they force me to use ...
    At home, I use only all sorts of webmails, a total of some 10+.
    Mrk

16. bonedriven

10+ without mail client?

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have been using Outlook for over a decade now and wouldn't be without it. TBird, Gmail and others are "ok" if there is no alternative, but nothing else really does it for me except Outlook.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

In the free world, we can choose however we please: I'm aware that Google reads the contents, and that's fine with me. You don't like it, don't use it. There are countless people (I'm no referring to you) who enjoy to deliberately attack systems that were conceived for a good purpose. Gmail is free, and people expect Google employees to do voluntary work. Google have always made money out of advertising, it is the only way to provide you with a free service.

Take Microsoft, they spent 6 billion dollars (If the source was correct!) to develop Vista, and people wonder why Bill Gates charges for his software. There isn't any magic formula: we all need money to make a living.

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Sure, I get along fine. No problems.
    The only problematic thing is to remember 6 different passwords :)
    Mrk

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have several websites with (presently) 18 email accounts. For this workload I am a long-time user of PopPeeper. It does the job quite well.

21. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Gmail & Yahoo (more so Gmail now) through web for generic and Outlook 2007 for personal.

22. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I have started few months ago poll on Wilders "Which email client do you prefer?"
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=227564
    I hope it helps.

23. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I really like it too. It can even be password protected while it's still running, doing it's thing!

24. ramoncin

ramoncin Registered Member

To avoid this mail restore issue, I use Portable Thunderbird on a partition other than the system partition.
    I am now thinking of trying Postbox, which is TB based and integrates GMail features (conversations and archive). I am wondering if anyone has experience with that client.

On my netbook, I use Opera 10, which allows me to integrate webmail and mail client in one application. Incidentally Opera loads on netbook SSD drives much faster than TB. It can also be bandwidth friendly (turbo mode), very useful when using 3G broadband.

25. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Happy Becky! Mail user here ! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.