Do you trust TPM and Intel's TXT?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Tipsy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

Do you trust the Trusted Platform Module and Intel's Trusted Execution Technology? Or do you think they are risk for your privacy and ability to control your computers?
    Do you run your machines with them enabled or do you try to disable or circumvent them?

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I don't have any computer with a TPM chip built-in and I'd like things to stay that way :)

3. brians08

brians08 Registered Member

As far as I have seen so far from TPM chips is that they are only useful in a corporate IT environment. They give IT more control over Bitlocker so employees can't bypass corporate security.
    Absolutely useless for individual users. Worse, they give individuals false sense of security since there is every reason to expect that the NSA can bypass them if they need to.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

If there were TPM that I could actually trust, I'd want them. Otherwise, no thanks.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Dumb question: Is the TMP chip really only for corporate PC´s? I thought it was a standard feature on higher end machines, to be honest.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

The TPM could be used to restrict what software can run on a machine. An OEM-owned TPM might, for example, allow only Microsoft-approved software to be run. Or it might be used to encrypt log data sent to Microsoft, the NSA or wherever.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ mirimir

OK, so it sounds like something you do not want to have, I will check it the next time I buy a machine. :cautious:

8. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Trust is such a big word!

I've actively added some Infineon TPM chips to a couple of W7 desktops, specifically to be able to use WDE with Bitlocker, including on the system drive. As far as I know, it's the ONLY completely transparent way to do this, with no user intervention required. Without using TPM, or with other WDE, you're faced with entering a (necessarily strong) password and/or having a USB key for every boot. With the TPM, disk access requires a windows login which I have protected with a Yubikey. TPM also provides some protection against rootkits. It makes failed disk disposal easier too, because everything's encrypted from the start.

Do I trust the TPM against some threats? No, and I know there are potential dangers with them - if they happen, then I'll move off 'em.

So for protecting me against people pinching my machines - not bad. Against the NSA - well, there are a whole load of things to be thinking about there....!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.