Do You Think Chrome's Omnibox Is Enough?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pandorax, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

I think it is not enough. It doesn't show what you are looking for. I am talking about sites that i visited before. It doesn't give me the results if i search a youtube title that i visited before. But Firefox and Opera is not like that. They immediately bring you whatever you are looking for. They gives good features, but omnibox thing is really bothering me. Sometimes i switch to Opera or Firefox, but i go back Chrome again in the end lol. Somehow i fell like i am tricked by them.
    I have found an extension that gives you Firefox adressbar algorithm. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bfimmnpbjccjihohjkimphfmmebffbmk
    It has two version, Fauxbar and Fauxbar Lite. With Fauxbar, you can use it as Chrome's new tab page. It has seperate addres bar, but i don't want to see two addresbar in a new tab. Light one doesn't give you new tab page unless you click the fox icon. And you can switch by pressing f+space to Firefox algorithm in omnibox. I have been using like that for now. But pressing f+space is still bothering me :cautious:

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Go to about:flags and enable "Shortcuts" - it might help you out.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No, it's less intuitive. I may try both solutions after winter break.

4. pandorax

It wouldn't help me. Because If i want to look at something second time after two days, it wouldn't show me that anyway.

5. Hungry Man

If you search youtube for "cat" or something and then you tybe in "cat" it'll show you the youtube search you made earlier.

6. pandorax

Ok ok. It is not just about youtube or search terms. I mean it wouldn't show me the news article title or forum thread title etc.. And i doubt if it shows you the video title after typing "cat"

7. Hungry Man

I know it's not exact, but it helps.

Example:
    Type in youtube (tab) cat, hit enter
    click on first link (simons cat)
    close link, open new tab
    type in "simon"
    it'll be the first suggestion as well as the youtube search results for "cat"

8. pandorax

I see. But would it show me every youtube video that i looking for? I doubt it. But as i said before, it is not about just search terms. No offence but this experimental thing is rubbish for me :rolleyes:

9. Hungry Man

Just trying to help. Like I said, I don't think it's as good (though I don't mind, I don't use it for that) but I do think that adding shortcuts can help quite a bit.

You should give it a try and try it out a bit.

10. pandorax

I might try, i don't know :p Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.