Do you need a program like Spy Sweeper when you have Ewido?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by oddworld, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oddworld

oddworld Registered Member

Won't ewido find everything that a program like Spy Sweeper will?

Thanks.:)

2. Kniht

Kniht Registered Member

No single antispyware will detect 100%. It doesn't hurt to have more than one antispyware program in what is called layers of defense. Problems may occur if 2 or more programs run realtime together. Use one antispyware program in realtime and the other as an extra scanner.
    I have Ewido running realtime, and also use M$ antispyware, Spybot, and Adaware for scanning purposes.

3. drhayden1

drhayden1 Registered Member

what do you mean by realtime........i have the retail version of ad-aware se plus and spy sweeper and i have spy sweeper to boot up with windows........should i turn off the ad-watch part of ad-aware...........curious how come i cannot see any thing of ewido in msconfig start-up and its shows up in my taskbaro_O?:rolleyes: :ninja: *puppy*

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

yes, with real time spysweeper it is not needed.

5. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

1. Ewido is turned on at the Service level. There are two services that startup when you boot. There are no msconfig startup entries required by Ewido for it to be started up on reboot.

2. I recommend that you fully deactivate Ad-Watch and use the shields within Spy Sweeper as your memory resident real-time defense. Ad-Watch consumes much more CPU time than Spy Sweeper. Having them running together in memory is a waste of resources and CPU cycles. Adaware SE Plus is a good backup/second scanner to keep around however. JMO.

It is fairly common knowledge that spyware programs are far from protecting us users against 100% of the known threats of spyware/adware. It's more down around 75% at best. So relying on only one spyware/adware pgm is risky in my opinion. Will the undetected 25% ever hit your machine is anybody's guess...;). Many security articles by so-called experts rate spyware as a much greater threat than viruses. Yet we as users tend to settle for a lower standard for spyware software we purchase/use than we do for the AVs we use. Doesn't make much sense, considering the rapidly increasing criminal activity on the Internet nowadays.

6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Real-time means...it always runs and monitor the system all the time...and that it quickly detects any changes that happens whatever it is depending on what it was designed to detect. ;)

Having several real-time monitoring engine running all the time consumes rams and cpu. Spy Sweeper's real-time monitor is enough to protect from spyware and Ewido's monitoring guard will monitor for trojans. But some pc users like me, who don't even use any of the products with real-time monitor enabled you've mentioned. I just use WinPatrol to monitor for spyware, use Spybot and Ad-Aware SE for scanning for spywares and uses Ewido free for scanning trojans. It just depends on your tastes and of course on your personal surfing habits. ;)

Some infections got into our pc by accidents, and we could not really compares our pc for those they used in the testing lab machines that was intently bombarded by hundreds of infectors. That they do it purposely and in a very tightly controlled situation. :p

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  7. drhayden1

ok ....thanks for all the reply.........i terminated ad-watch........when i went to ad-aware main screen it said ad-watch status:not available(so i guess its turned
    off.....left spy sweeper on and i have to re-install ewido.....what do you mean by monitoring in the above posto_O?that's not real time......is it?......and when i re-install ewido is there any real time protection and if so.....how to turn off cause as i was trying to do is to cut down on real time stuff.........oh.....i'm getting the ewido free so after 14 days will it still be worth ito_Oo_O??

8. drhayden1

ok......i re-installed ewido and i clicked on real time protection and made it inactive and i ran a scan and it took @10minutes and it found 23 tracking cookies which i removed .........just tracking cookies which is normal.....right?.....so after 14 days the scanning and cleaning will still work and all........just the paid version has the real time and all.....right!.........:D :) :rolleyes:

9. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    You're right...:D only the paid plus version has the real-time monitor protection...;) after the trial it still functions as a very good on-demand anti-malware scanner. :cool: :D

10. drhayden1

were tracking cookies safe to removeo_O and does ewido ever report any false positives as a-squared free is doing right now(that why i removed it and came to
    ewido........................"1" more question......after 14 days the scanner if it finds
    anything it will also clean or remove the threats??................thanks everyone and sorry for so many questions.........just want to make sure i get everything right and working on this alienware

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, why to worry for tracking cookies, are they pose any danger? I never bother about them, u can find them after each visit to internet even to well known sites, imagine some of my scanners bringing tracking cookie "webroot.com".

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sure it will do.

13. drhayden1

thanks algie.....i see you use avast.....i got the pro version after years of free home edition .....nothing better.............thanks for the help....if the ewido scanner finds tracking cookies i'll just remove them which is the right thing to do i guesso_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:cool: :eek:

14. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

A very interesting point! I think most of us would consider regular ongoing monitoring as being realtime protection; but of course the monitoring really involves checking important areas of your system (often Registry keys) every few seconds, to make sure unauthorised changes have not occured. Unfortunately an awful lot can happen in the few seconds between checks, and attempting to reverse those changes can be problematic.

For that reason, I value ewido's realtime memory scanning abilities more than Anti-Spyware monitoring. Thus if I was going to choose between running ewido's guard and running SpywareSweeper's guard, I would choose ewido - but you can run both realtime, if you wish, and get the best of both worlds.
    Cookies are .txt files and as such they cannot be 'trojans' etc because they cannot be 'executed' or 'run'. They cannot do you any harm, it is just a question of privacy because they can be written to, and read from, thus can disclose something of your surfing habits. You can never do harm by deleting them (other than having to re-type passwords for some sites), indeed it is generally best to delete cookies before scanning so you don't confuse your scan results by finding a lot of low grade 'problems'.

15. drhayden1

but ewido real time is good for only 14 days which i have now have turn off since i have retail ad-aware adwatch and spy sweeper running now......unless i pay for the full version and turn it on.......which is a person to doo_Oo_Odecisions,decisions,o_Oo_Owhat am i to doo_Oo_Oo_O :isay:

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will say stick to your AV, firewall and as long as you have spysweeper, run it in real time. keep adaware for ondemand scan with adwatch off. every body can suggest a different option but to be realistic this is enough security for an ordinary user if you surf safely.

BTW ewido guard uses high resources as well though it was pretty fast to repond in my trial use.

Do you surf safely, do you P2P?

17. drhayden1

one more question and i will leave it alone unless my alienware blows up or something(i have my windowsfirewall off cause my router has spi and wep and
    too much conflict if both are on)ok.........here's the last question....after the 14 trial without the real time protection after you scan and find a threat will it remove it.....o_Oo_O??

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes, ewido free can remove threats. the only limitations are no realtime protection and no automatic updates. u can still manually update tho.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You are welcome. Forum is for questions of course. And somebody will sure help u.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.