Do you maintain a IP block list?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Pollmaster, Nov 13, 2004.

?

Do you maintain a ip block list?

1. No.

42.3%
  2. Only a few (less than 10) annoying ones

3.8%
  3. Yes in my firewall. Eg Blockpost in Outpost, Sponge's list in Kerio

30.8%
  4. Peer Guardian

11.5%
  5. In various web proxies like proxomitron,adshield

7.7%
  6. Other

30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Do you maintain a list of IPs to block?

Note: Hosts file/ DNSKONG and the like which block sites based on domain name are not the same thing.

I'm not certain of IEspyad which puts stuff in the restricted zone, but I kind of remembering seeing a few entries though I suspect blocking by domain names + wildcards is the major method.

There are certainly merits to using a IP block list, on top of a hosts file, but in the past I never borthered because it was not really easy to do. But I discovered blockmanager recently and it made maintaining IP block lists easy, and you could do it with various apps.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2004
  2. freeloadin

freeloadin Guest

I went to one of them kidney docs, he said if IP don't block it!!

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I've just downloaded PeerGuardian 2 beta. Added my own ip list as well as the ones supplied and am currently pblocking a huge number of IP addresses.

Jimbob

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

yes, I got a lot of IP's blocked, I have a huge host in spyblocker and protowall when I'm feeling good :D

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I've got hardware here capable of supporting it but I don't really have an issue I'm aware of that would require it.

6. Jimbob1989

The IP Bloclists in my opinion are only really necessary if you are going be filesharing and want some privacy from prying eyes, or if for some reason, large corporate companies or government agencies are interested in something you have to hide.

Jimbob

7. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Hosts file is based on domain name? But I believe that it still works if you put IP addresses there. I guess the difference is that hosts file blocks the requests from the computer (browser) to those IPs, it blocks outward requests. The block list blocks both outwards traffic to or inwards traffic from listed IPs.

I have a firewall to block the unsolicited traffic, and I do not use P2P. I do not use a block list, but I maintain the hosts file.

8. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Yep!

Protowall/BLM

9. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

I used to when I used to use emule, but not anymore. Heh, I don't know if it ever helped or not. :)

10. Jimbob1989

For those of you who don't know of it. There is a program called Blocklist Manager, abreviated as BLM

More info and download found here

The program basically allows you to download IP block lists from multiple sources and merge the lists using one program, then convert them to the format needed by your chosen application, may it be suitable firewall, IPBlocker or P2P filehsaring client.

Jimbob

11. The hosts file is consulted during dns lookups. Eg when you type www.wilderssecurity.com, it consults the host files to see what the actual ip address of that is.

Putting ip addresses in there makes no sense.

Putting ip addresses in the IE restricted zone may work though.

12. Infinity

I have been using it into adblock with agnitum, putting all those sites in the restricted zones...that is basically one of the reasons I am sticking with agnitum...that and the fact that it suites my needs fully

but protowall would be good if you want to block those sites completely.

Inf.

13. Jimbob1989

By adblock, do you mean the FireFox plugin?

Jimbob

14. Infinity

excuse me, I ment blockpost but I was discussing adblock on another forum

sorry...

15. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Squidguard with blacklist control (on my linux gateway of course). I don't maintain the blacklist, though, it's all updated automatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.