Do you like Microsoft??

Discussion in 'polls' started by SwordOfSecurity, May 4, 2006.

?

Do you like Microsoft?

1. Yes, I do!

60 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. I think they're okay.

75 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. Not really...

35 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. No, I HATE Microsoft!

19 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

Ah yes, another interesting poll!! I know a lot of people dislike/like/partially-like Microsoft, because of its products/actions, but I'm curious to see how many people actually like Microsoft?

Do you like Microsoft?

Edit: Feel free to post any comments on your decisions. I personally chose "I think they're okay." since I think most of their products are fine.There hasn't really been anything that's caused me to greatly dislike Microsoft so far.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  2. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

OK but.........I won't be buying into anymore of their products.

3. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I don't like any big company, their to single minded, this one has only one goal; selling me their crappy software.
    'Hate' is a to strong a word for this. they just made a couple of stupid choices, not in our interrest.

Lamehand

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If I was younger, I would certainly go for another operating system, than MS Windows.
    I started with DOS, Win95, win2000proSP4 and now winXPproSP2.
    I can't do anything with an OS, but I need it to install other USEFULL softwares to DO something, like MS Office 200x Pro and many other softwares.
    That's why I will keep on using Windows, because it isn't important enough for me at my age (almost 58 ).

The dream of Bill Gates was to create an USERFRIENDLY Operating System and applications for EVERYBODY in the world and he has been very successfull in realizing this dream.
    When somebody is very successfull, other people get jealous and try to destroy that success. That's how people are and it has been proven over and over in history of mankind.

Nowadays, M$ is too large, too many employees, too many bosses and then you lose control over things and when that happens it leads to wrong decisions.
    Another problem of M$ : too much money and that decreases your motivation to be the best gradually, because it doesn't matter anymore.
    Why do we have to be creative, if we can buy the know-how of a smaller company and that's what M$ is doing on a regular base : buying or controlling companies. M$ is more a bank, than a software company.

MS Applications, that come with Windows are all MEDIOCRE compared with third party softwares and
    that's why smarter users are replacing MS Applications one by one with much better softwares.
    M$ doesn't care about that, because the users already PAID for MS Applications.
    After all, you can't buy Windows without all these mediocre applications.

Another problem of M$ : they talk too much and make too many promises in advance.
    They better keep their mouth shut, go back to humility and work harder.

Another problem of M$ : the bad guys and there is no better target than Windows and MS Application.
    LINUX isn't safer than Windows. It is only safer because it isn't an interesting target for the bad guys.
    Once the bad guys put their claws constantly in LINUX, it will become as vulnerable as WINDOWS.
    LINUX-users will probably not admit it now, because it didn't happen yet.
    If you really think that some OS's and softwares are untouchable, than you are a dreamer and you certainly underestimate the bad guys, because some of them are as smart or smarter than the good guys.
    This is not a war of the strongest people, this is a war of the smartest people and internet is the battlefield of that war.

Bottom line : there is no safe OS, there is no safe software.
    Just use an OS and softwares, that aren't an interesting target for the bad guys YET and you will be safer as long it lasts. Being the safest is a matter of dates. :)

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Haven't tried yet other operating system. :cautious: :blink:

Microsoft I think is really good, coz there are lots of software out there that are compatible with their operating system. Maybe, Apple and others are also good but still very few softwares in the net are compatible with their operating system that we have to rely on the bundled packaged they gave to the consumers. o_O :doubt:

As of now I have Windows XP/Sp2 Pro and it works well like magic, even if this is not as safe like the others have told but at least this is the latest that they can offer. We cannot blame Bill Gates if he becomes the richest man of the world today, coz his invention/innovations I think is one of the best that I have ever seen so far since I was born. :cool: ;)

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I do like microsoft for the Os's and software that they have created. If it wasn't for Microsoft home computing probably wouldn't exist in any form related to the way it is today. Business might be in a bit of a bind with out their software. I do believe that Microsoft is a bit heavy handed and they would love to be a monoply but I for one am glad they exist and do appreciate their software. And as for the people that don't like microsoft, just delete all Microsoft software off of your computer then you will be happier with the evil giants software gone.

7. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    ErikAlbert;
    When you say that every software has it's flaws that can be exploited you're right.
    When you say that Linux is as unsafe as windows than you're badly mistaking.
    The whole structure from this OS is intrinsecally more safe than windows. For more detailed information i would advice you to go to ubuntuforums.org, where you can find a lot of information on this subject.
    Being a target for malware is not defined by how many users a certain OS has but how you deal, as OS maker, with these flaws, and how fast your response is to correct a flaw.Furthermore what plays an important part is the question how easy is it to compromise or to get in the OS.MS has gone out of their way to acomplish this and call it 'userfriendliness' or a 'feature'.

For your information, i've been running this linux distro for a couple of weeks now without the use of an AV or AT, nor HIPS of any kind, it's not needed.

regards
    Lamehand

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Microsoft made a misstep in my opinion, when they integrated IE into Windows. Other than that, I've enjoyed using Windows for a long time. It gets me where I want to go.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Ron

Worse than that are the number of other companies that integrate IE into their software, and use it to display windows. Grrr.

Pete

10. dog

dog Guest

I for one ... Hate M$ ... I hate M$ for the way they mistreat their consumers, making us the victims of their anti-piracy war. The way Vista is going with control thru DRM = Output Content Protection Management & High-Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection. The fact that M$ caters to both sides of the field selling advertising to business and providing limited controls for users to block them. I wonder why M$ has decided to have outbound firewall protection disabled in Vista ... would it be they're catering to businesses (DRM and Adware). :doubt:

While M$ may have been the main contributer to how we compute today ... are we better off? Did they lead in innovation or did they hinder it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2006
  11. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I think that MicroSoft does its best to please their customers, abide the laws of each and every country and improve their products.

It is, after all, in their own best interest to do so.
    But I can also imagine that it takes some juggling to do all that.

12. dog

dog Guest

But the questions remains ... which customers do they really value ... certainly not you and me. ;) We are not a blimp on the radar, not a pawn in a chess match ... we remain insignificant. Big business is wonderful isn't it? :doubt:

13. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Is this a catch question??........:D :D :D

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Looks like it could be, but then check out all these polls, many of them look like catch questions also. :cool:

The most positive thing i can honestly say that i like about Microsoft is that they formulated OS's where like has been mentioned already, really quality software is accessible to the public users via internet (which i think deserves even more credit then a soft OS maker btw). They M$ have helped in large part if not entirely as a whole to encourage new software developers and computer technicians to be spawned massively on a global basis which continues to this very day. I'll definitely give them that.

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont rele like Microsoft, but they make two products which i depend on.

Windows. its gaming capability is unparallelled and being teh mostly used OS, i can find lots of useful and amazing software for it.

Office. simply a easy to use and powerful productivity suite. tho it costs $$$, more than Windows usually.

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don´t hate them but with so much money on the bank they should be more innovative, we shouldn´t have to wait for years to get certain features in the OS or browser engine. I do like XP (the MacOS sucks) but it still can be improved a lot. I also think MS should cut prices, XP and Office are way too expensive. :rolleyes:

17. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I do :)... I like Windows XP and I am a proud Hotmail Plus user... as well as MSN Messenger and I can't wait for the "Windows Live" services :D. Also enjoy using Office 2003 Professional.

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  18. TNT

TNT Registered Member

"Not really"...

19. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I have mixed feeling about MS.

Kind of love/hate relationship, i guess.

But really like them: no.

I must vote for the second option: they hinder innovation:rolleyes:

20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I like your reply, very On-Target IMHO.........................:thumb:

Thanks

21. Ailric

Ailric Guest

DITTOS!:thumb:

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes, I do.

23. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I do, the Windows platform is user friendly, easily navigated and well documented. Sure, it has it's quirks and sofware for it is pricey, but it works.

24. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

My job requires me to be familiar with and use Windows and related software. If it were not for that I would be looking at alternatives. That is the only reason I will also have to get Vista when it is finally released. As far as those that say they use it because of all the compatible software..... If Linux (any flavor) held the market share that MS dose then it would be a different story.

25. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If it weren't for Microsoft, you probably would not be reading this! :doubt:

Acadia

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.