Do you know RecImg Manager?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Solarlynx, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Did anybody use RecImg Manager from SlimWare Utilities? What their site says it is a free imaging app. Any experience?

2. andylau

andylau Registered Member

It is designed for Windows 8 only and writtern by Microsoft .NET:ninja:

3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

:argh:

Really, only for Win 8!!!

How could I miss that? That's why there is next to zero feedback to the app.

Attached Files:

4. sbwhiteman

sbwhiteman Registered Member

This looks like a very helpful utility. Apparently using a combination of Windows 8's Refresh plus proprietary capabilities it backs up system files plus installed applications, but leaves data alone. This would seem to obviate the need to segregate data on a separate partition for system imaging purposes.

Developer sites: https://www.slimwareutilities.com/recimg_manager.php and http://www.recimg.com/

Here's a review: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/07/11/recimg-manager-for-windows-8-backup-os-and-software/

Is anyone using it?

5. pirej

pirej Registered Member

You dont neet software for that, you can do the same using cmd as administrator.. just type in "recimg /createimage C:\refreshpoint" and press enter.

6. sbwhiteman

As I understand it, this program also backs up your installed desktop applications, which the Windows function does not.

I tried installing it and it had taken over an hour to complete 50% of the backup of a relatively small Windows 8 installation -- just a few applications -- when I pulled the plug.

7. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I made an image and tried to restore it with the refresh utility in the recovery console. First you need free space equivalent to the size of the files that you're restoring. I needed close to 30Gb which is going to be tough for people with smaller SSDs since they tend to keep them fairly full. So I start the refresh which continues for about 20 minutes and then quits with an error. :cautious:

8. pirej

pirej Registered Member

If you use the refresh option WITHOUT making a custom refresh image, THEN windows will only restore the windows... without the installed applications.
    BUT if you make tweak your 8, and install all of your apps, and then make a custom refresh image using the command "recimg /createimage C:\refreshpoint" then it backs up(and refreshes) the apps too.
    You can place the image on different partition, it doesn't need to be C.

And yes, RecImg Manager is slow, but using the windows own "recimg" it made my custom refresh image around 6-7 minutes, and the actual refresh takes the same time, i have a 60 GB SSD, with around 20GB of free space.

p.s. I like the refresh/reset functions, but after 2 months using the 8pro i got back to my lovely win7pro a couple of hours ago.
    So now I AM refreshed. :)

9. sbwhiteman

As I understand it, the built-in Windows function backs up the "Metro"-style apps, but not desktop applications, which is the additional functionality that RecImg Manager provides.

Regards.

10. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

i tried this program but theres no rescue disc,i ask this question on there forum and they said maybe in the future.doesnt help if you cant boot your computer.

11. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Open a command prompt and set your wim backup directory as the default refresh source:

eg. recimg /setcurrent d:/backup

Then you can use the refresh feature in the built-in Windows recovery console to restore.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

There now is a new Beta of an even supposedly better version with improved apps saving capability. Gonna give that one a try on this Win 8 system I just bought recently.

8 is a radical departure that's taking some effort to adapt in to for me but i'm committed now so no problem on this end getting the feet wet with new apps like this.

Regards Easter

Windows 8 w/64Bit........Regular updates all added so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.