Do you keep your drivers up-to-date?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ance, Sep 20, 2013.

?

Do you keep your drivers up-to-date?

1. Yes, up-to-date drivers are important

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. No, never change a running system

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Not any more, new drivers caused problems

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I think, that is worth mentioning, that updated driver also fix security problems sometimes, like malware using driver certificates to install silently.
    I always keep my drivers updated, I install alfa/beta as well, since there are no stable drivers, they always have problems, they are just unknown.

2. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I voted 'Not any more' as I went through a major update of my system last year using a number of driver updating programs (including Intel's onsite one and my laptop manufacturers web site) and got such a mixed bag of results that I have no intention of going through it again unless a driver is actually proving troublesome!

If it ain't broke....

3. guest

guest Guest

Sometimes.

4. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

I dont see a difference in the last 2 options provided in the poll.They both suggest not to do it.

Never ever change something that is working absolutely fine.In short:

If it aint broke,dont try to fix it.

I tried updating my graphic card driver once and landed up in a never ending boot loop. :(

Remember,to have a rollback option at all times.Dont try doing stuff that has chances of messing the system up.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I just got back on my gaming grind and some of these newer games are designed for newer hybrid systems. After doing some tinkering to optimize my current system including updating my drivers; I've been seeing phenomenal improvement in performance. Keep in mind this system was not intended for gaming, as I've donated my dedicated system to my cousin last year. Initial game play on games like Skyrim in particular was unplayable. It took as much as 5-10 minutes to progress the character forward 3-5 steps. After updating the driver, I saw significant improvement and could actually play these games in real-time. That was before optimizing window or modifying the game configuration and settings. Additional optimizations have made the game very playable, which is fortunate. I wasn't looking forward to investing in building another gaming rig. I'm probably going to make driver updating a new standard for my other machines as well.

Current System:
    64-Bit Windows Vista
    AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad-Core Processor
    7GB Ram
    640 GB HHD
    Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE Graphics Card

Keep in mind the system is bogged with a lot of other games including other elder scroll games: Morrowind and Oblivion; older strategy games like Age of Empires; and now graphic intense games like Skyrim. I'm really impressed with the performance overall. Amazing what a little optimization and updating can do to maximize hardware and system usage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.