Do you have any compatabilty problems using Firefox alongside Mcaffe

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi for about a month now i have been having this major problem with Firefox and that is it crashes intermittently and then causes no other browsers to work after the crash until i restart windows, this includes I.E Opera and Maxthon.

I then when i try to shut down windows have an error consisting of xpcom:eventreceiver which contues to come up about 8 times until the machine will switch off. Which is what caused the crashing of firefox.

I have read around and everyone doesnt seem to have a clue what it is (although it occurs quite frequently), but the consensus is it is a compatability problem with firefox and mcafee (i use mcafee virusscan home 9).

So i am curious do any other mcafee users who browse with firefox have this problem also. So thought a poll would be best way to achive any answers. I wasnt sure on how to actually construct a poll so this text version is the best i could do.

Thanks for your imput

p.s if you have any advice on how to fix my problem my post asking for help is here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=332608&posted=1#post332608

Thanks

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Do you use McAfee Firewall as well? or just the virus scanner?

Jimbob

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use mcafee av with firefox for quite a while and also used mcafee firewall for a while with no problems

bigc

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I used to use mcafee personal firewall but switched to outpost back in september. I use no other mcafee products other than the virus scanner, (except that annoying security center).

The problem seems to have started back in early december/late november the same time i switched from Mcafee virus scan enterprise to mcafee virus scan home.

Here is the only topic i can find on it on the mcafee website

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=28632&highlight=xpcom event receiver error

I have (today) switched back to MVE and i hope this problem does not come back.

5. jkoppelm

jkoppelm Guest

I get the same error, and I am using McAfee VirusScan (only) as well. The error dialog happens consistently whenever I close FF. Very annoying.... would love to hear if anyone has found a solution.

6. I have this problem all the time. I didn't realize it was a problem with McAfee and Firefox. I have McAfee Security Suite.

7. bmdenver

bmdenver Guest

Same problem here. It's finally got frustrating enough that I'm looking for a solution. I use Firefox 1.0 and McAfee Internet Security Suite 6.

8. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I am using...

Mozilla FireFox with Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0 and Mcafee personal firewall plus with no problems at all.

Jimbob

9. LaMite

LaMite Guest

I dont use any Mc Afee product but I use Firefox.
    My FW is Outpost.
    Same pb here.

LC from France

10. kkasheville

kkasheville Guest

Firefox is owned by netscape. I installed firefox 12/26/04, already had mcafee firewall and viruscan. This happened 2/19/05(after mcafee updates with no problem):
    "We have detected that your primary browser is Netscape. McAfee Application
    requires a one-time installation of the McAfee Clinic Activator Plug-in to
    support Application installations and updates".

Reply from McAfee Consumer Online Support:
    Our online services use ActiveX Controls, a technology that allows our online applications to interface with your PC through a browser. FireFox does not support ActiveX technology. Netscape also does not support ActiveX technology but by installing a plug in for it, we can use Netscape browser with McAfee softwares.

11. allezgaulle

allezgaulle Guest

same probleme with firefox : XPCOM:EventReceiver and the machine refuse to stop
    my firewall is outpost

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

McAfee 9.0 and Firefox with no problems but I made sure that my IE settings are what McAFee recommends. I never use IE but it is still set as my default browser; McAFee needs IE with the proper settings in order to update but you can, well I can anyway, use FF all I want.

Acadia

13. Mewnew

Mewnew Guest

Same problem here. Using FireFox and Outpost Pro 2.5. The problem seems to be related to McAfee and Outpost combined with Firefox, but.. any solution? This is driving me nuts. Had no problem with this before i switched from Kerio PF to Outpost.

14. srv

srv Registered Member

FYI....... I am running XP-Pro with Firefox 1.0, Norton AV 2005, and Zone Alarm 5.5.062.011

SAME PROBLEM

XPCOM: Event Reciever error on Windows shutdown.

HOWEVER, canceling out, albeit 4-6 times, seems to allow XP to complete shutdown.

15. CarryStress

CarryStress Guest

I just recently started having this problem. I had been using Firefox and McAfee (Just Anti-Virus and Virus Scan) without a problem. I didn't get the error until I started using Mozilla's Thunderbird. I'm going to check into that.

16. Katarsis

Katarsis Guest

Same problem for me except that I use ZoneAlarm 5.5 along with Firefox 1.0.
    No McAfee products but Norton Antivirus 2002.

Randomly the browser wont show up at startup even though it appears in the taskmanager; in this situation I hit restart, but XPCom:EventReceiver wont shutdown and I must kill the process.

17. leeco

leeco Guest

Hello all. I came accross this site when i was looking for imformation on xpcom event receiver. I never use any mcaffee products but i do use firefox with outpost firewall. When i'm using firefox, a while back it kept stopping to work on the internet as soon as outpost reported a loopback attack, then outpost would stop firefox from working. I was using f-prot av at the time but decided to change because i was sure i had a trojan. Sure enough there were two which avg found. once these were clean i had no more problems.

18. christyxx1971

christyxx1971 Registered Member

Firefox 1.0.1 with AVG gives me the same trouble. I reported it some time ago to Mozilla but nothing has been done. It seems to me it's a Firefox issue that is independent of the type of AV that is being used.

19. Noble_Bleu

Noble_Bleu Registered Member

Hey Ya'll, Same prob here, running outpost, firefox, thunderbird, ms antivirus, BUT I don't have any MacAffee products installed. Also i get no load'n with any browser, i can see that it started the app in the process menu but no window as well as with IE and even still when i try to get out using an explorer window, could be specific to my probs with ISP, they haven't been keeping a stabil connection.

I am thinking it's between firefox and outpost, did a little diggin found this http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-12546.html may help...

Found this one as well i DO have MS antivirus (knew i shouldn't have trusted them...) http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=228441

20. E.T.

E.T. Guest

McAfee won't even admit that Firefox exists. And, YES, there are problems that McAfee support won't admit to or give you good answers to. Microsoft, of all people, knows about the issue and suggests removing McAfee. No, they didn't try to sell me another product, just fix my issues.

On a funny side note...
    1) I was using McAfee AntiVirus when I called McAfee support and they told me it looked like I had a virus... then...
    2) I was testing out McAfee AntiSpyware at the time. One of the McAfee techs said the problem was spyware on my PC and to use WebRoot SpySweeper to clean it up... she didn't know that McAfee made a spyware product... I almost fell out of my chair laughing!

21. carrot

carrot Guest

I have mcafee security suite and firefox. the same problem with the "XPcom event receiver" error. it mainly happens when i try to watch a .wmv, or .mpg, or open .pdf in the firefox browser (instead of downloading the files and opening them separately). any solutions out there?

22. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

How about testing with Firefox 1.0.2 ??

Same problems ?

BTW i had no problems with Firefox on one of my systems in combination
    with:

NOD32,Sophos,F-prot,Kaspersky,Kerio Fw,Tiny Personal FireWall,AVG or Outpost Fw etc.
    i have a license of the mentioned software (will test it).

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am currently running McAfee 7.03.6000 and I have firefox 1.02, netscape 8, opera 7.54u2 and IE 6. There is no conflict between any of them at all.

bigc

24. lex

lex Guest

I started to get the same error after installing Firefox 1.04. Firefox guys are telling me that is a driver problem.

25. byancna99

byancna99 Registered Member

I was getting the same XPCOM: event receiver error. I have firefox 1.01, outpost firewall and avast antivirus. I thought it was outpost so i tried other firewalls but kept getting the same error. I took off avast and went with trend micro for the antivirus but left on outpost and firefox has been working ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.