Do you disable UAC?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Overkill, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

LOL, only some form of HIPS would protect against this.

Yes exactly, and people forget that when I say HIPS, it doesn't necessarily mean it will bombard you with alerts, nowadays they got auto-blocking features like safe banking, anti-logger (keystroke encryption) and anti-exploit.

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I am not going to touch on the purpose of UAC...that topic had been beaten to death. More importantly though, users need to realize that disabling UAC disable more than just the prompts.

There are other ways to deal with the "annoyance" factor...

1. One can enable the built-in admin (with UAC disabled) and use that only for admin-intensive activities when offline.

2. There's the task-scheduler trick to create UAC-promptless shortcuts for selected programs on the default AAM account.

3. One can use an elevated launcher (only 1 UAC prompt at the start) to launch other programs without UAC prompt. If even 1 prompt for the launcher itself is unacceptable, you can use RunAsRob to remember the password. Look up MrBrian's detailed posts on these.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...-standard-account-when-uac-is-enabled.280471/

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...program-with-admin-privileges-without.359206/

Wilders members...if you guys can keep up with HIPS, configuration, updating these programs from time to time to fix bugs/incompatibilities, this is a piece of cake/walk in the park in comparison.

3. guest

guest Guest

I see with these 2 problems, you are annoyed about the repeated prompts about legit apps you may use or install. I can understand that. It can be done if MS would link UAC with the reputation system used by Smartscreen; now why they don't do it is the question.

With this, we start to get closer to an anti-exe or HIPS. Maybe MS just want UAC to be an elevation blocker, nothing else.

There is the the behavior of an HIPS/BB/anti-exe ; in that case many basic users won't even understand the alert and may block a legit access process fearing an infection then complain why the soft they downloaded is detected.

4. Rasheed187

I believe this doesn't happen on Win 8, UAC stays active in the background, but apps will auto-elevate. I think M$ should have taken care of the annoyances, and I didn't like the third party fixes.

http://www.brianbondy.com/blog/140/...-disabled-with-process-integrity-in-windows-8

Well, someone already made a similar comment (about UAC alerts), but the point is that if we already have to deal with that stuff, the last thing I need is having to deal with UAC which provides virtually no security whatsoever.

5. Rasheed187

Yes obviously, but perhaps my "dumbed down" HIPS idea wasn't even feasible, because I just realize that UAC only processes the elevation request, it doesn't even know why some apps needs admin access. But I'm sticking to my main points:

1 Malware doesn't even need admin rights to do damage.
    2 No white-listing options makes UAC too annoying.
    3 People will click on "YES" when UAC presents an alert, 9 out of 10 times.
    4 Malware can bypass UAC, this has been proved several of times.
    5 So you might as well turn UAC off, and rely on security tools.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  6. guest

guest Guest

I dont see yet a malware bypassing LUA with UAC at max.

UAC at default = weak defense. I can say the same with security tools. Nothing should be left at default state.

7. I test malware on a Daily Basis, and can tell you in Windows 10, Smart Screen is not even close to being useless. I literally have to allow a sample past it almost every time I execute them, maybe once in a blue moon one will execute and bypass it, but guess what, when that happens, usually UAC grabs it. I understand your preference, but do not condone you calling it useless. If you were to test it yourself, you find it is far from. Last I'm going to mention in this thread on this subject, because debating this with some is much like trying to clap with one hand.

8. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

UAC is on, set at MAX, LUA, Smartscreen is on.

9. Infected

Infected Registered Member

PM if you can, just have a few questions about that setup.

10. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

On W8.1 64-bit I tested (2) versions of Cerber ransomware. UAC set to default. In both cases, UAC (consent.exe) was triggered when Cerber process executed cmd.exe.

In fact, consent.exe was caught in an endless loop; at the UAC prompt select "No" and another UAC alert would reappear within a few seconds.

The only way to break the endless UAC loop was to use CTRL + ALT + Delete and select Task Manager. It took sometimes quite a few times, but eventually it would suspend the UAC loop and the Cerber initiated processes could be terminated using Process Explorer\Hacker.

If it weren't for UAC, Cerber would have smashed the system. It gave me time to formulate a strategy to deal with the malware processes.

UAC has value - despite the fact that it isn't 100 % bulletproof.

Against malwares I will utilize all available mitigations...

11. guest

guest Guest

Good to know. In the article , Cerber looked very scary; but in fact is just a basic malware. as i said (and some others here and there) , UAC used by a cautious user is a decent and useful tool. In the hand of a happy clicker even the strongest tool is useless against attacks.

100% agree with this.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
  12. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Built-in OS protections are the easiest to deal with since their very well optimized for the system... so why not use all of them ?

13. guest

guest Guest

yep , not saying they are the only one that work correctly at kernel level ; where others 3rd party tools have to put hooks and other shady workaround , creating new attack vectors if exploited.

14. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

What else does it disable?

15. guest

guest Guest

Protected Mode for IE and Protected View for Office when files downloaded via browsers have the MOTW (Mark Of The Web);

16. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Thats an important info there. Thanxx for the info.

17. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Try using the registry setting:

"Validate Admin Code signatures"

set to 1.

18. Rasheed187

When I say "useless" I'm talking about the UAC alerts. If you think that Win Defender is great it's cool with me, but I think there are better choices. And I agree about the debating comment, just look how many times I have to repeat myself to get my point across.

The point is that in general UAC won't help to prevent malware from running on your system. There are 2 ways to get infected:

1 By exploit.
    2 By user run/install.

When it comes to 1, if malware doesn't need admin rights or is able to bypass UAC, you will never get to see the alert. If you do get to see it, you have to be a trained user in order to recognize that you're being attacked.

When it comes to 2, if you download some app, and the AV says it's clean you will allow it to elevate. Let's say it doesn't require installation and UAC still pops up, how would you know whether it's normal that this app requires admin rights?

19. Rasheed187

Wasn't it you who said that UAC isn't meant to be a security tool? There is no need to compare them, because it isn't even a fair contest. And those "shady hooks" is mostly a thing of the past since Windows 64 bit with PatchGuard was introduced. It's most likely easier to bypass a UAC alert than to bypass or exploit a good quality security tool.

This doesn't happen on Win 8 and 10, it stays active even with UAC in silent mode (disabled), if I'm correct.

20. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Thanks @Sampei Nihira . I appreciate the infos.

21. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

22. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Also Integrity Levels if on Vista or 7, which means Chrome sandbox too.

23. guest

guest Guest

so you agree with me ?

24. Overkill

Are there any security tools that UAC interfere's with starting at boot? The only one I know of is hostsman

25. Overkill

Thanks for that info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.