Do you anonymize all the time?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Wraith, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wraith

Wraith Registered Member

I'm curious, do folks here use anonymizing services all the time they are on the 'net? I've always wondered...doesn't that fact alone send up a red flag for interested parties to watch you? Most people would assume, I think, that if you're hiding you must be up to no good. Isn't there a lot of anonymity in just blending in w/ the oodles of others on the 'net? I use them on occasion, more for the novelty at this point than anything else. I guess that too could send up red flags. Just curious on some other's take on this.

2. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

If I was up to no good then yes I would surf hidden so I was not detected, but I prefer to be open as I have nothing to hide. Although there will be times dependant on the circumstances where the need to remain undetected is a neccessity.

3. moreprivacy

moreprivacy Guest

Yes, I use anonymizers most of the time because I don't want my isp logging my every move and saving that info in some data base somewhere or selling it or allowing big brother a peek. If they have a problem with that, and they think i'm up to no good, and it sends up a "red flag" then too bad. Just let them try to break 128 bit encryption.

But I wouldn't be surprised if big brother has a way to find out what we're up to even with these so-called anonymizers anyway, but BigB is not really my main concern anyway because if they want your data they'll get it one way or another.

I look at it this way it doesn't matter if you are going to only squeaky clean sites or not, the point is it's NONE of their dam business where we do and do not go on the internet, PERIOD! And as long as I can stop them from viewing my activities, I'll do it.

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

It's quite an interesting question, actually.

Having just started using Tor/Privoxy/SocksCap, I wondered about the issue of using "encrypted" transmissions being a "flag" that might draw un-warranted attention. (actually, I wondered about it a long time ago - I just can't find the thread on the old forum).

I'm kind of straddling this one - for all my basic surfing, I just use the two other browsers I've got here (Opera and FireFox). That puts me in the category of "one among many", and I don't log into any of the sites that I have open (the same basic set of 20+ sites that I automatically open with both those browsers).

If I see something I want to respond to, I copy the link address into IE (which is running through the three programs mentioned above), log in, and respond.

And, of course, all my IM'ing (through Trillian) is done through the encrypting route, too.

It's been brought up on other forums that simply using encrypted transmissions could draw scrutiny through the simple fact of using such technology - and with the current "open season" granted authorities with all of the more blatantly privacy-gutting provisions of the 'patriot' act, yeah, it could be an issue. A FISA (secret court) issued 'warrant' (with very low or non-existent evidentiary standards) could immediately be carried out by your ISP - especially the smaller ones, who haven't the monetary resources to fight such a request.

IMO, this is exactly the reason that we all should start using and familiarizing ourselves with this type of technology - the more of us who use it, the more we stretch the resources of those who wish to spy on our activities.

And - I can't ask it enough of those who have the know-how and use the correct OS - if you can find it in your heart to run a Tor server, please do so - it will increase everyone's anonymity and spread the load out to help un-burden those who already do. Pete

5. cyberwar

cyberwar Guest

I'm just wondering why anyone would care, that uses an anonymizing service, if a red flag was raised, because of their using the service.... unless you really do have something to hide.

If I was using an anonymizing service (and I do use them), and my ISP reported me for using one, I could care less, because I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal to begin with, and if big brother did acquire my surfing logs.... so what? Who cares.... unless like I said you really are up to no good and doing illegal activities, and if that's the case.... I hope they bust your @ss!

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Simply put, it's because any innocent citizen of any nation who's using encryption technology of any kind doesn't deserve to be singled out and treated to unlawful surveillance.

That's really the whole issue - privacy, and protection from heavy-handed government.

Why would you care if someone came and stood at the window of your house, looking in? You have nothing to hide, right?

Or, would you care if someone followed you every time you left your house, noted where you went and what you did, what you bought, who you talked to?

It is precisely that parallel that we're facing now as computer users - because that's what's happening to us.

And, while we don't have anything to "hide", being constantly "followed" sure does get irritating in a hurry - especially when you can't retaliate in a simple, satisfying manner such as kicking someone real's ass.

Consider the example of how we're both posting - following your line of reasoning, an outsider reading the thread might tend to feel a little uncomfortable with the fact that you're the one with something to hide due to the fact that you're an un-registered user with a non-identity.

I, on the other hand, post with a fully verifiable identity (chock full of details in my profile, including a valid email address, IM contacts, city/state and country-of-origin details, etc.).

In case it hasn't occurred to you, the only way you can effectively (and safely) keep jerking the dragon's chain is if you don't have anything to "hide".

Think about it. Pete

7. Wraith

Wraith Registered Member

I agree w/ you Spy1. That's exactly the reason I often do it. It irritates me to no end to have anybody peeking over my shoulder and possibly profiting off of me w/o my permission. Or keeping records of my goings on w/o my permission. I also don't run around on illegal sites or do any kind of harrassment of others but I still don't want someone "peeping in my window"! If I can frustrate them in any way I will.

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The Don't Fear Internet Anonymity Tools thread has a pretty good (and lengthy!) discussion on the pros and cons of anonymizing proxies.

In terms of drawing attention, this is more likely when only a few use such systems and only for limited periods (e.g. only when browsing the web's dark side). If plenty of people use them for all their online activity then they just become background noise.

9. cyberwar

cyberwar Guest

I see your point of view Pete, and am not opposing it here. I value my privacy and also feel everyone else should have the right to their own also. But the world has changed since 911 and we can't really expect big brother to just ignore what could very well be some criminal (or worse) trying to hide his or her actions from their ISP by using an anonymizer service.

While I agree that we shouldn't be automatically monitored by big brother for using such a service, on the other hand it is probably going to happen, because we are in a war against a group that will stop at nothing to destroy us. So that being the case big brother is more likely to check out someone who uses an anonymizing service.

What I strongly oppose is if you are checked out, and found to be innocent of all criminal behavior, and they still continue to monitor your activities. But I would rather bb didn't even attempt to monitor us at all, and certainly not just because someone is using an anonymizer, but the chances are you will be monitored, and that truly is a sad loss of our privacy rights.

For myself I don't really mind that much if bb did obtain my logs because like I said I am not doing anything illegal, and I doubt they would waste their time monitoring me for any extended period of time, which is probably the case with most individuals who use these services. They check you out, see that you aren't breaking any laws, and move on most likely. I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry, as the saying goes.

10. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I have Steganos Internet Anonym Pro installed, however I only install it when visiting a suspicious website or an untrustworthy website.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.